Chapter Thirty// Skye

Skye's POV

"Don't stop, just keep moving straight on." Loky's disembodied voice calls from somewhere in front. I bit back my frustration and force myself to keep pushing ahead. Kind of discouraging to do so in half-darkness, with someone you don't know whether to trust as your only guide. At this point, I think having a parrot leading the way would be a much safer option. At least the bird could fly towards water source, or an opening out of this hellhole.

"Where is the place you are taking me?" I demand, panting as I climb over the rocky tunnels. So far, we'd made it through three enormous caves, dimly lit, and not much to look at. There is something eerie in the way the shadows dance around the cave walls, in the light of Loky's flickering torch. Then again, it could be that or the fact that that very person in discussion happened to be glaring daggers at me the whole time I curled up in a shivering heap.

"This shelter, where is it?" Having received no answer, I try asking once more. Up ahead, the slim waver of warm light does nothing to drown the icy trail of bitterness Miss Ice Queen is leaving behind. Hmm... wonder if she thinks I'm not cold enough here already for her to intensify the frigidness.

"Soon." Was her curt reply. "We'll stop for refreshments soon."

Refreshments. Tiredly, I try to wrap my mind around how good that sounds right now. I imagined myself relaxing under a a beam of warm sunlight, a glass of cranberry juice in my hand. Or maybe she's taking me to some luxurious underground spa-cave... though judging by her looks, I doubt the people down here are allowed much groom time.

"So... where do you people get your food stock? Daily items? Clothing? Tech savvy gadgets? Entertainment?" I rattle off in one shot.

Gingerly, I extend one foot, holding out my right arm over my head to shield myself from the jutting out stalactite, and edge over another stalagmite, careful to not impale myself. Once I made it safely around, I straighten my back and follow the weak beam of torchlight around the bend of the tunnel...

And into another cave.

I groan. "Please, spare me from any more of this musty expedition. You obviously don't care about my physical state..."

"So what you are weaker than I am?" Came her taunting voice. I feel my muscles tense up. "Who said I'm weaker?" I demand, forcing myself forward.

"Oh... nothing. If you think you can beat me in strength, why don't we continue journeying further into the heart of the city the whole night?" Her tone was light, like she was bored of having this conversation.

"What is up with you? Fine, I get it that you don't like me, you're overstating that fact. But you don't have to---"

My voice trailed off. Loky had come to a sudden halt, causing me to bump hard into her body.

"Why are you stopping now?" I sigh, annoyed. "Didn't you---"

Her steely hand gripped my shoulder. "Shush! Didn't you notice?" She whispered fiercely. I was about to respond with a biting remark when I heard.

Slithery noises from around the bend echoed softly but surely down into the chamber where we stand, sending flares of terror down my spine. Hushed whispers and cruel voices float downwards, and I involuntarily take a step backwards, hitting Loky by mistake.

Digging her incredibly long fingernails into my arm, she pulled me a little way back up from where we entered, ignoring my grunts of protest.

Once we're out of earshot, Loky flung me against the hard wall and pressed herself next to me, motioning me to silence. A dark look had crossed her face, and she now lets go of my arm, and struggles to keep in the shadows.

The voices grow louder, more prominent, like audible shadows on the prowl. I throw Loky an inquisitive glance, and am taken aback at her actions.

The brave, bold young woman, who had, just a few minutes earlier, became the bane of my existence with her aggressive comments and taunting remarks, is now hunched dolefully in a heap against the wall. A cold sweat broke out on her forehead, and she starts gawning on her lower lip. Her hands lift, and hand awkwardly in the air, only to come to a despaired rest at her sides once more, curled up in tight fists.

"Loky---" I strained my voice to a whisper. "Who are they?" I edge nervously towards her, her growing agitation continues to leave scratch after scratch on my spirits.

Her whole body was trembling as I reached her. Watching her, I felt as if I was standing at the very edge of a cliff--- hovering, suspended, like I'm holding onto the very roots of the Earth itself... that's exactly how treacherous the vibes she is giving off.

I sigh. Does she need me to hold her hand and say 'there, there'?

Just then, scraping noises filled the air, and I felt the ambient temperature drop around twenty degrees. A weird shuffling followed, a low guttural grinding noise... my heart leaped to my throat, and I hold my breath, hardly daring to move for fear of triggering something terrible.

A drawn out howl wafts from the cave below. At this point, I'm fighting an internal battle, trying to decide upon my next move. I hold my breath and claps my hands together.

Skye, don't you even---

A little too late, I take a couple of quick-paced steps forwards, curiosity beating at my heart. A muffled gasp alerted me of Loky's presence, but my mind doesn't seem to register what my body is doing.

As if in a trance, I had ducked downwards into the damp, musty cave... straight towards the pit of evil-sounding noises...pulling me deeper, closer,... each step I take draws me in towards the source of horror...

At the entrance, I pause, scanning the dark cave. For a moment, there was an obvious silence, outstretching, creeping around the atmosphere, demanding to be broken...

And that was when an intimidating screech alerted me to my senses, urging me out of my trance, drowsing me with a layer of invisible ice.

I'm rooted to the spot, my eyes squeezed so tight it hurt my muscles, as my brain begins to malfunction. Time rolled by, dragging my awareness, tugging my essence along, willing me into a trance so abysmal, I begin to feel my spirit begin to dissipate with every looming second...

Just as I was about to hit rock ground, a pair of unyielding hands grasped my waist, and I feel myself being lifted off, away from the hollowness that had demanded my very existence...

A/N: Hi, again! So, would anyone else like to guess my age? Go on, I'm very curious! ;p

So, finally, a chapter on Skye! What do you think had happened? I'm not so sure myself... :/ But I'll turn it around... somhow ;)

Vote, comment, and fan, as always! Have a wonderful week!

~Tiffany :)