Chapter Eleven// Stella

Stella’s POV

Of all things Kale could’ve told me, the first thing that escaped his mouth wasn’t what I had in mind.

“You shouldn’t be curious, Stella.” He warns, folding up his book and tucking it under his arm. I stare dumbfounded up into his face, eyes crinkled with weariness, or wisdom, his nose turned up a little too high. Unconsciously, I find my fingers drifting over to caress my nose, which bears an eerie similarity to Kale’s.

Hastily, I drop my hand. “Curious about what?” I’m definitely pushing it. I can’t tell if he’s serious, because it isn’t every day I come across a guy bearing a striking resemblance to my appearance, only to have him warning me off.

Kale does that spooky thing where he makes his eyes go all small—studying me. “Our resemblance.” He said simply. That one line brought chills to my spine. Our resemblance. So he does see it as well. Hard not to, after Skye’s sudden outburst.

I once read somewhere that, long long ago… there were legends that humans were made with the characteristics of both genders--- male and female. The result was so disgusting--- imagine being both girl and boy… that someone decided to split them apart--- into a male and a female. They became half of their initial being. Till this day, the saying “to find my other half” still remains. Huh. People would go through all measures to explain the inexplicable.

So… is Kale sort of my other half? Like a part of me? Does that mean I’m part of him too?

“Being curious is dangerous, Stella. You have to let this pass.” Kale fixes me with a hard stare.

“Are you serious? Here we are… like, like this… and you want me to just shrug it off?” I raise my eyebrows. He sighs, exasperated. “Stella. There’s not much to hear. Even then… there’s not much you want to know, either. The truth is unbearable. Trust me.” He certainly seems trustable. You can’t not trust a guy who mostly sticks to himself, blends in with the crowd like a black swan among the white, and keeping his head behind dusty leather bound books. Yep. I certainly could trust this guy. Hint… sarcasm involved.

“I still don’t understand what you are talking about.” I stick out my lower lip. “And if you really claim to know just about everything about how we are related…”

Kale throws up his hands. “I didn’t say that I did.” He growls.

“Fine, then.” I was being childish, I know I was, but, really--- how else could I argue? “Let’s say, you know most of what I want to know… and you are withholding my right to find out!”

“Stella. I told you… the truth itself would send you into shock. No… worse than shock. Don’t mess with Cosmos...” He trails off, his eyes widen, like he’s accidentally let slip something important.

I immediately pounce. “What?” I half scream. “What about the Cosmos?” My heart pounds faster, though I don’t know why. In that moment I said the word, my feet feel lighter,  as if I’m floating on air. My face feels heated, but not with blood. Hastily, I clench my fists, not wanting another embarrassing episode of the Lighting of Stella Starre---live rekindling of brightness! I don’t know why--- but I sensed a mixture of feelings the moment the word ‘Cosmos’ escaped my lips.

“Cosmos…” I ponder, a little frown on my face.

“No… no! Forget what I just said.” Kale huffs, perplex. “Don’t try to think about it… or find out. You’ll only become more vulnerable to the threat!” He cautions, his face, if possible, seems to have taken on a paler shade of white… only, this time, he seems to be glowing. A silvery aura surrounds his face… and for a moment, I stare in fascination at him. A cool warmth spreads slowly all over my body, relaxing my tense muscles…