Chapter Thirty-Seven// David

David's POV

Today was a bright day. Stella would be realeased from that miserable hospital. I wasn't allowed down there today, as my presence was specially requested up at the main front, also known as the Library.

"Why don't you sell all these books and donate the profits to the needy?" A woman in a long blue blouse and white skirt demanded. "Why let these precious trees rot here while they could be used for intensive research to resuscitate life here on Earth?"

I pushed away my annoyance. What is this lady trying to do? Give me a headache? I was already in the middle of a horrible migraine, thank you very much.

"We Librarians believe in the protection and preservation of books of knowledge, Madam. I'm sorry that you think books are such a waste to keep." I shrugged, trying to keep up a nonchalant expression.

"Excuse me, but that is no excuse, young man! I'll wish to have a few words with your manager, if he'll come out from behind his dusty shelves and listen to the facts speak themselves!" She would not stop pursuing the matter.

I wanted to burry my head in between two shelves. It's been like this for fifteen minutes now. Since the moment she stormed into the Library, her mouth refused to shut. Times like these really make me wish fervently that Caleb's group had to duty today, not mine. As it is, almost half my group are absent.

Skye in goodness knows where, Niko being secretly hauled off on some sudden mission, Stella still recuperating...

"I appologize, but we do have the rights to preserve these books!" I frowned, wishing to get off duty right then, since it's almost lunch time, and the library closes then. Stella will be released at two pm, and I wanted to be there to greet her back. I had something special planned for her.

Thinking about my 'surprise' put a small smile on my face, but it was quickly replaced by one of annoyance.

"Who knew behind these historically beautiful building lives a bunch of cold-hearted humans!" She spat at me, really unprofessional of her.

"Library's closed, Madam, so you'd better leave now, or we'll have the right to manually remove you from our property for disobeying rules. So unless you wish to borrow some of these books, you 'd better make a move out." I cross my arms, eyeing my watch.

At last, the enironmentallist gave one last huff and stormed out.

"Whew, that took like, hours!" Holly whined. "Poor Stella would be wondering what went wrong up here!"

Theo lightly massaged her shoulders. "How do you manage to keep your patience?" He directed that question to me. "I mean, she looked like she would really like to rip your head off your shoulders and start chewing it!"

I waved my hand dismissively. "Nah, you'll improve on this, Theo. Wait 'till it's your turn. You guys will be handling the next problem causer!"

"Some outsiders can be really weird." Holly frowned.

"Yeah, well, sometimes people get suspicious about a wooden building, especially if hosts a couple of a thousand hardcover books! They really believe in all that myths about paper being used to generate pure air, they'll stop at nothing to change the world."

"Thank goodness no outsider discovered our world!" Holly chirped, then winced as Theo rubed a specially sensitive spot on her neck. "Watch it Theo, my neck can't be sore now... especially not tomorrow!"

"Hey, are you two going together?" I piped before realising how lame that sounded. Still, Theo and Holly gave me bright smiles.

"Of course! He's asked me, like, four days ago!" Holly squealed, as Theo laughed.