Chapter Nine// Alex

Alex's POV   

I cross my arms and push away from the table screen. My eyes drift over the image, the floating hologram across the smart table. I bite my lip to keep from screaming out loud in frustrated anger. 

I hold out one palm over one side of the holographic building, zooming it until it reaches it's final magnified size. Still, I can't figure it out. Now totally exasperated, I swipe wildly at the image, only to have it shimmer and flicker just the tiniest bit, but it doesn't fully dissolve. 

I sigh and drop into my comfortable seat, wringing my hands. How long will this holograph continue to appear? Over the past few weeks, this three-dimensional image keeps on popping up, and as the days drag further on, the image seems to find a better foundation... it simply refuses to evaporate. 

If only I could figure this out... 

I wave my hand over the holograph, and jump up in disgust as the monotonous voice booms out once more: "Floor -39... Space down, over, left high, zoom in three times..."

As sudden as the voice sounded, it pauses mid sentence and the noise just hangs there, slowly evaporating into the surrounding air. 

I bite down a silent scream. Come on, Alex. There has to be a way... a way to prevent further tragedy...

I had tried everything I could work with. Floor thirty nine is under heavy guard patrol. As for space down... I'm assuming there could be a secret passage somewhere on that floor. We are all built underground, after all. There has to be one--- one that I have no knowledge of.

I tried zooming in thrice over the left upper corner, but to no avail. I have no clue as to what the projection has to project. For all I know, it could be in code, and I am not the one to decipher it. 

I burry my head in my hands, my heart thumping ferociously in my chest. How long had it been since--- since the last time? I wasn't here to prevent it, but I had seen the damage it had done. As soon as I rose to my role as President, I had pumped up all sources of prevention. So far, it seems to be working. 

At least, until my table thinks otherwise. 

I tilt my head sideways and glare at the holographic revolving image with hatred. "Stupid coded message." I curse.

How am I supposed to protect my fellow librarians, as well as those others under my care...

What with this curse hanging over our heads, our whole Institution? 

I let a frustrated yell out and punched the air with one balled up fist, just as the door to my office swings open. 

I jump up, face flushing as I realize whoever it is probably heard me. 

A face peeks around the door, looking sheepish. "I disrupted you at the wrong time, didn't I?" I cheerful female voice sounds and I try to master the hint of annoyance as the girl with honey blonde hair springs into the room like she belongs here. 

"What do you want, Jacelyn?" I shot, slightly perturbed. 

She bounds around the room her blonde ponytail springing behind her. I feel light headed watching her. Then I remember myself. I have to be gracious. I sigh.

"You know what I want." She slows to a halt right in front of me, fluttering her long gold sparked eyelashes, and resting herself on the table. I resist the urge to push her off. She dares to sit on my compactscren table? 

I back off as much as I could while looking polite. "I have no idea what you want." I say testily, glancing furtively at the holograph. Surprisingly, the moment Jacelyn entered the office, the holograph immediately shuddered into vapour. Hmm... interesting. Even my table seems to bear a dislike for this girl.

I press my lips together, suppressing a frown, as Jacelyn fiddles with her hair. I feel uncomfortable that she has on nothing but a slinky sleeveless pink dress, showing off so much bare skin, I'll have to make a rule about clothing one day. 

"Of course you do, Alex." God, she sounds so ridiculous whenever she applies that hoarse voice of hers. Sounds like a turtle with a sore throat. If turtles do talk, probably. She lifts one perfectly manicured hand, and places it on my arm. "The Gala." She purrs, stroking my arm. 

I feel goosebumps up and down my arm. Get off me! I mentally scream. I back off so fast I almost trip into my chair. Jacelyn giggles and I feel my face getting hotter. How many times will that girl humiliate me? I wanted to yell. 

"I told you, there will be no Gala." I growl, regaining my composure.

She pouts. "Aw... but there always is one, Alex! Our Librarian Night! It's a tradition, to have an annual dinner celebration. What better time than next month--- in October?" She tries to convince me. I shake my head, trying to block her disgusting tingly sweet voice out of my head.

"No Gala this year. That's  final." I repeat firmly. 

Jacelyn leaps from the table. "But... that's not fair!" She declares, throwing her hands up dramatically. "I have a say in your decisions too, you know!" 

I shake my head, feeling woozy. "Jacelyn... we've discussed this before. I thought we agreed..."

"We agreed to discuss this again!" She's practically in tears. I roll my eyes. Girls. And their extravaganzas.

"Jacelyn... I told you, it's not safe to hold a Gala this year." She opens her mouth to argue, but I hurry on. "As Vice-President, you should be all too familiar with my reasons." 

She narrows her eyes at me. "Oh--- you are too absorbed with that stupid curse! You have a life outside... outside this dark office to live, you know! A Gala at this time of the year... what better way to boost people's spirits? You know we need one. People will be so upset!" 

I spin around to face her, even if her hair blinds me. "Look, Jacelyn. It's dangerous, this time of the year. Hear me? Dangerous. And you know what had happened last October. You want to have a Gala? I'd feel better if it could wait 'till next year." 

She makes a pouty face. "But then it'll be too late! Think about it, Alex! If you postpone the Gala, you might postpone the curse as well!" She practically screams. 

"Then you don't fully understand my intentions." I turn my back at her. "I don't want this curse hanging over our heads while you party rages on. I intend to break this curse once and for all. And a Gala is the last thing on my mind right now." 

She is silent, which may be a blessing, for once. Then she had to ruin it.

"Oh, you are no fun at all, Alex! No fun! Without me to run the library, we'll all be like you--- Boring, Dark, lifeless, tedious, dreary---"

I huffed a sigh. This could go on forever. I move towards the door and hold it open. "I request that you leave, please. And don't bother me with this anymore, please." I don't look at her. 

She storms past me, huffing like a train. "Don't think you've won this time, Alex."  She pauses outside the door, and I stare stonily at her. 

"I'll have my way, you wait and see!" She informs me with a death stare. 

I respond by slamming the door in her face. Good riddance.

Librarians should never make such deafening commotions in the halways.

A/N: Heey!!! I'm back!! ^^

Tell me what you thought of this chapter! Thanks for reading, do vote please!! :D 

HEHE... there's a curse...

~Tiffany :)