All in My Head/ Under What Control?

Ella went to bed soon after she exited the bathroom. Thankfully, Derek left the house and went for a run, his nerves getting the best of him. Javin insisted I get ready to prepare clothes for the full moon shift, telling me, "Go animal... Don't hold back." I lied and told him I'd see him later before running to head to my place. My wolf whined in protest. There would be no shifting on my watch. Not tonight, at least.

Before sunset I arrived at my apartment. My wolf would not stop howling for me to shift. I kept biting my lip and clutching my stomach. The pain was worse than I'd ever felt before. It was like something was cutting at my stomach.

"Damnit!" I screamed out in frustration. Feeling weak, I fell to the floor and my body began to tremble violently. My wolf kept trying to shift on me. I wouldn't let it out of spite.

After a while of lying across the cold hardwood floor my wolf stopped fighting and my body stopped shaking. The pain continued to eat at me, as if I'd been punched in the stomach to the point I'd cough up blood.

My wolf moaned as I slowly rose from the ground and walked over to the refrigerator. With each step the pain worsened. My wolf started to bark when I opened the fridge door and picked up the bottle of blood. I'd been saving it for "company", more specifically Joe, but my body needed it.

Pulling the cork off, I threw it to the side and started to drink from the bottle. The syrupy blood tasted better than I remembered it being. It soothed my throat as it went down. The stuff was addicting. Just as I was about half way done I heard someone loudly knocking my door. Who the hell could that be?

"Samantha? What's going on?" An all too familiar voice asked. Joe... If I don't answer maybe he'll go away, I thought.

"I'm not leaving." He said matter-of-factly. I could tell that he was worried and upset from the way he was speaking.

I can't let him see me like this, I thought as I quietly placed the bottle back in the fridge and turned on the water to wash away the blood from my face. The cool water helped me calm down enough to think of what to do. Do I let him in? No, he'll smell the blood and then real hell will break loose. Only thing worse than an angry vampire is a shifting lone wolf. I'd kill him...

Quickly and quietly I made my way over to the door. Just as I reached for the doorknob my wolf began to yelp. What the...

"Samantha?" Joe's voice was clear. He sounded just as confused as I was. Just hearing him call my name sent tingles through me. The sensations were wild... God, my wolf is acting really bizarre.

"Yes?" I asked softly. I need to calm down, I ordered myself mentally as I waited for Joe to speak. My thighs started to hurt.

"What's going on?" He asked slowly, his voice echoed softly. I could hear his body rub against the door as he got closer. My heart started to pound faster and faster.

"Please go," I pleaded, stepping away and stumbling back against my couch. My head spinning, my heart racing, I couldn't get my wolf to stop yelping. It was getting worse by the second. "I'm fine."

"Samantha?" He asked again, his voice getting louder and more worried. I massaged my forehead and tried to cancel out his voice, to forget that he was outside, when I heard a loud metallic clang. I gasped when I saw that the door knob was gone. My knees started to buckle and my hands started to sweat.

"Joe, don't!" I screamed, my wolf not letting me move. I watched as his hand went through the hole where the door knob was and try to find the top lock. My body started to tremble again, but not as violently.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I stood up and started to head for the windows to escape when I heard the door slam open.