Can't Escape the Truth

Putting on black tights and a tank top, I slipped on a pair of black bejeweled stilettos as I got ready for my audition. For a couple of weeks now I've practiced hours every day for this audition, for the chance to work for a dance company. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teaching at the studio; the pay is good, my work schedule is fine, my coworkers are nice, and the classes are full. I just want to try something new. Branch out a bit. Also something that will occupy a lot of my time so I don't start thinking about Ella's secret bundle of joy.

Applying a thin layer of light red lipstick on my lips, I finished up getting ready as I headed out of the apartment. Locking the front door behind me, I ran down the stairs and out of the building. I crossed the street to get to my car. As I turned the key and entered my car I heard someone call out my name. Looking over my shoulder, I found myself staring at Hunter.

"Hey." I called out, feeling my cheeks flush. Hunter smiled at me as he made his way across to meet me.

"Hola," He greeted before kissing my cheek. "What's up?"

"I'm heading to an audition. What are you up to?" I asked curiously as I tossed my bag onto the front passenger seat.

"Meeting with some colleagues for lunch. Thought I'd drop by and see if you would like to go out for dinner tonight, but that's only if you don't have plans this evening." Hunter leaned against my car and ran his right hand through his hand as he spoke.

"I would love to, but I don't know when I'll get back. I'll call you and let you know by six. Sound good?" Hunter nodded and pulled me in for a kiss. His arms wrapped around me as his soft lips crushed mine. Though it felt good to kiss him, I broke the kiss after a few seconds and exchanged goodbyes. 

Hunter, his chest rising as he tried to calm himself down, backed away and walked around my car. As I drove off, I watched Hunter watching me from the sidewalk. Please may I be able to make dinner, I mentally told myself as I pressed on the gas.

*****

"Samantha Wells, we're ready for you," A skinny, tall brunette woman called from the door. Her name tag said that her name was Eliza Wilson. I recognized her as the event coordinator listed in the audition pamphlet I'd read as I waited. "Please bring your belongings with you."

Standing up, I confidently made my way across the room and exited to enter the audition room. The air smelled of sweat and sweet perfume, a scent that I'm used to. Three people sat behind a table at the other end of the mirrored room, all watching me walk in with amused eyes. I'd chose to dress like I am heading to a club then an audition to show my wild side. The clatter of my stilettos echoed throughout the room.

"Where do I place my things?" I asked Eliza.

"To the side. Anywhere they won't get in your way." She responded, then making her way to the table of judges. I nodded and placed my stuff against the back wall. Afterwards I walked to the center of the floor and stood tall.

"You're Samantha Wells?" A handsome man sitting in the center seat of the table asked. His voice was smooth, silky-like and matched his appearance; a white dress shirt with a snazzy black bow tie and his hair voluminous and combed back.

"Yes, I am." I replied as I looking over the other judges. They were both women in their mid-thirties. The woman on the right had piercing blue eyes, dirty blonde hair in a braid and wearing a navy blue button-down sundress. The woman sitting to the left of man had knowing brown eyes paired with simple features, petite and dressed in a V-neck t-shirt with a thin, loose, braided leather necklace around neck. I could tell immediately that she wasn't human but supernatural. A were, to be more specific.