The Man in The Other Room

I arrived at the precinct on time. Trying my best not to attract any unwanted attention, I decided to wear clothes that covered me up. Last time I'd set all the guys on edge, the "go wild" edge. Definitely don't want that to happen again.

"Excuse me," I patted a woman lightly on the shoulder. She turned around and stared at me. "I'm looking for Detective Wayne. Do you know where he is?"

"He should be on the third floor in room 306." She said as she looked me over, turned around and returned her attention to whatever she was doing before.

"Thanks." After quickly thanking her, I made my way towards the stairs I'd taken the other day. The men behind bars (thankfully) didn't act like buffoons when they saw me. In fact, they didn't seem to notice me.

When I reached the third floor and knocked on door 306, I waited a few seconds before someone opened it from the inside.

"You're just in time," Jake informed, as he stepped to the side and let me in. Without saying anything, I walked up to the giant mirror-like window in between two rooms. Staring into the other room, I saw a slender, tan man sitting at a table. His fingers slowly drummed the wooden surface. "Wayne's going to interrogate him as soon as his partner arrives."

"That's the guy," Examining the man a little more, I came to recognize him from somewhere. Looking over my shoulder and back at Jake, I asked, "Is there a possibility that I might be able to question him?"

"No, there isn't," Jake shut the door and joined me. He stared at the guy with curiosity, his eyes intense and focused on his face. "Besides, you heard Wayne-"

"Wayne's a dirty cop, Jake. He has connections, knows people," Interrupting him, I kept my voice low, still loud enough for him to hear me. "He may be good at what he does, but he's not to be trusted. He has a vast history of pressuring innocent people into confessing to crimes that they didn't commit-"

"Enough, Sam." Jake growled his voice shaky with anger. My pride kicked in and helped me gain enough confidence to speak up.

"Let me finish-" Jake, glaring at me, tried to interrupt me, but holding his face in between my hands, I was able to calm him down. "If I can't go in there, can you? You won't get in trouble if you do and I trust you more than Wayne... Please?"

After a few seconds of thinking, Jake grabbed my hands from his face and nodded. "Fine, but first you need to tell me what's wrong."

"What's wrong?" Acting as if I had no idea what he was asking about, I feigned a dumbfounded look.

"You don't seem yourself... You know what happened last night," He let go of my left hand, but held onto my right. Turning my hand so he could look at my palm, he outlined the lines of my hand with the tip of his index finger. "And your scent's changed."

"So?" I asked, pulling my hand out of his, walking across the room and sitting in a chair against the back wall. Jake crossed his arms and his brown eyes bore into mine. I was lost in his for a second. I couldn't help feeling something... Different forming between us.

Then the strangest thing happened.

"Never mind," Jake shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. He turned back around and looked through the window, continuing to watch the man in the other room. Did he just drop the conversation? I mentally asked myself. That's a first... How rude of him! My wolf growled in frustration, annoyed by Jake. He casually continued, "Wayne should be here any minute now."

We waited in silence. Talking was out of the question. In a mood, I watched the man in the other room with interest. He looked bored and began to hum. I didn't recognize the tune.