Whatever Happens Next Blame Freedom

Loading the last of the cardboard boxes into the Jeep, I finished packing up the things I'd be taking with me to my new apartment. I decided moving out and into town. At first I thought I'd just wait until Hunter and I decide to take things to "the next level" in our relationships, to move into an apartment together, but I decided I want a taste of the single life. With my career in dance taking course, living on my own seems ideal. The stress is eating me alive.

"That was fast," Ella commented as she helped me load the last box into the trunk. She wiped her hands on her jeans, removing the dirt and sweat from her palms. "Didn't even take twenty minutes... You excited?"

"Not really," I couldn't help but admit.   I ran my hands through my hair to get the knots out. "I'm so familiar with town that the excitement is gone. The freedom's what's intoxicating."

"Freedom? Ah, too much of the stuff can drive you crazy. Trust me, running has taught me freedom can take away what's important." Ella commented, trying to sound smart. Smirking at me, I punched her shoulder lightly and scoffed.

"I'll be fine. You'll visit me, right?"

"Course," Ella closed the trunk door for me, smiling lightly. She looked happily at me, her eyes had a sparkle to them that made my anxiety melt away. "And you can visit, too."

"Duh, I'm gonna visit... I should probably get going," I said. "What about a hug?" Ella shook her head, grinning sheepishly at me. Wrapping her arms around me, she hugged me tightly. After a few seconds of holding each other, we let go, looked at one another and exchanged goodbyes. Ella looked like she was going to cry; her cheeks were red and her eyes looked shiny.

"I'll call you as soon as I settle in. The movers should have arrived at the apartment by now... Bye Ella." Just as I was about to enter my car, Ella grabbed my arm, looking worried.

"Be safe." The words came out soft but were intense. I nodded and after a few seconds grabbed her hand off my arm. I then entered my Jeep and drove off to town. I blasted the radio  and sang along with Katy Perry to T.G.I.F.

"Freedom, here I come!" I shouted out as I pressed on the gas.

*****

"Samantha, you're finally here," My land lady Michelle greeted me at the front door of the apartment building,  smoking a cigarette.  "The movers are almost done bringing everything upstairs."

"Oh, good." I rushed past her and into the brick building, running up two flights of stairs to my apartment. When I entered I found a couple of movers placing my sofa in the back of the room.

"Looks like you guys are almost done." I said, walking around the room. They both smiled when they saw that I arrived. I know both the movers; they're name's are Finn and Tyler. I went to school with both of them.

"Long time no see, Sam. I've gotta say you look pretty good." Tyler commented, wagging his eyebrows. I laughed and messed up his hair as I passed him to check out my bedroom.

"You don't look bad yourself. How have you guys been?"

"Good. Work every day. Got a family now. Two boys. Both are little versions of me." Finn answered. Heading back into the living room, I found Tyler drinking some water while Finn looked over a clipboard.

"How old are they?" I asked, continuing to make conversation.

"Three and two. Remember Stacy?" I nodded. Finn looked up from the clipboard and tilted his head. "We got married right after she graduated high school. We're expecting a third bundle of joy soon."

"Oh, that's great. Congratulations," I congratulated, feeling so excited for him. Wow, he's not even twenty and he's already a dad. He sounds really happy. "What about you, Tyler? Met the one yet?"