Goodbye for Good

"You okay?" Ella asked as she poured me a cup of coffee. I picked up my phone and went through old text I exchanged with Hunter. I couldn't help feeling like something just wasn't- isn't- right.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired."

"Is it work?" She asked, not dropping the subject. I wanted to say, Nothing out of the norm, just found out someone was hired to stalk me. Knowing that would freak her out, I kept quiet and nodded, sighing to sound really stressed.

"Nothing a cup of coffee can't fix," She smirked as she handed me the cup of coffee. I thanked her and drank some. My eyes floated over to her growing stomach that now clearly shows a baby bump. Ella caught me looking and smirked, "Javin kisses my belly every chance he gets. He's so happy. He broke the news to the rest of the family yesterday. Henry almost fainted with joy."

"Almost," I laughed, imagining my brothers and father reacting to the news. Derek probably was really happy, but, deep down, not knowing how to react. John and Alec probably hugged Javin. Henry, dad, probably patted him on the shoulder like always. I wonder how Derek took it...

"Do you know what the gender of the baby is?"

"No, I don't. I don't want to know. It doesn't matter," Ella pointed out as she sat down in the chair adjacent from me. "I'll wait and find out when it pops out."

"You're not curious?" I asked, shocked a bit by her words. There's a good chance that she could be having a boy now that the curse's been lifted. A girl would be nice, though. There are only a few girls in the family. I'm one of four on both sides; Wells and Sigmores. The only one on the Wells.

"Not at all. I'm just so happy," Ella smiled, practically glowing. "So how are you coping without Hunter?" She suddenly asked, changing the subject. I let a frown escape, instantly verifying that I did. Ella sighed and reached for my hand. Eagerly, I held it in mine and thought of what to say.

"I miss him more than I thought I would, but-"

"Something's just not right." Ella finished, her amber-like eyes looked into mine. I nodded softly.

"Exactly. I asked him to tell me, but he said nothing. The sad thing about all of this is that I know he did something. He's afraid to tell me, as though I won't forgive him."

"Sam, I have a terrible feeling that Hunter did something far worse than lie to you," Ella let go of my hand and sat up straighter in her seat. "Javin explained to me that once mated you're forever together. To mate means to seal a promise and unite."

"Yeah, it's permanent." I added, not knowing where the conversation was going.

"Well, the way you put how your wolf was acting so defensively and how angry you felt... What if he slept with someone? Wouldn't that break the promise?"

"I- I don't know," I brought my right hand up to my mouth to hold my head. "You think Hunter cheated on me?" Grimly, Ella nodded with a sorrowful look plastered on her face.

"I saw him with a woman about two weeks ago. They were holding hands, talking together, while walking down Main Street. I was going to say hello. As soon as Hunter saw me he whispered to her and they walked across the street. I was appalled by how rude he was towards me. As soon as I arrived home I asked Henry and Javin about mating and they told me that a mate must remain faithful or their wolf will be rejected."

Letting the words sink in, I sat back and stared at my feet. Tears trickled down my face, burning my skin as they rippled only to fall. From the corner of my eyes I saw Ella stand up and walk behind me. She wrapped her arms around me and let me rest my head on her arm.

"I'm so sorry." Ella whispered softly, trying to comfort me. I just shook my head, triggering more tears.

"Don't be," I looked up at Ella as I grabbed her left hand in my right. I wiped some tears away with my right hand and continued, "I'm sorry you have to see me like this. I'm such a fool."

"No, he's the fool," Ella reassured, holding me closer to her. "He doesn't know what he's lost. You're the best thing that's ever happened to him, Sam. He'll regret what he did. Besides, you deserve so much better."

"Damn straight I do," I joked, the two of us broke into laughter. The type of laughter I savored; sincere, whole-hearted laughs that I hear every now and then. I smiled and wiped my face dry with a napkin from the table. "I'll find love. Maybe it'll be dangerous or tragic, but I'll find it. I'll find me a man that'll love me with all his heart. When I do, I'll have a ring on my finger and a smile on my face. If not, I'll always have my family."

Right then and there, I promised myself I'd do exactly that. I'll marry for love, not revenge. I'll always care for Hunter, but will never love him again.

 Crazy to say that I can find love. Even if it takes me the rest of my life to find my Prince Charming, I'll search high and low, everywhere between heaven and hell.

Before I do that I'm going to have to confront Hunter. I need to know the truth. I'll never be able to let go if I don't find out what happened.

*****

I called up Hunter when I arrived back at my apartment. He sounded relieved to hear from me. Still upset by what Ella told me, I asked if he could meet me at Biscotti, an Italian bakery in town known to make a mean cup of coffee. He said he could make it. As soon as I hung up, I put on a light jean jacket, grabbed my purse, and headed out.

Ten minutes passed before Hunter arrived at the café. I decided to snack of chocolate biscotti while I waited. He looked different. Nothing seemed to have changed about him physically, but his scent wasn't as strong and the color of his eyes were a darker shade than usual.

I didn't feel anything between the two of us.

"Hey," Hunter greeted as he sat down in the seat across from me. I faked a smile and waited for him to sit down. He continued, "I'm so glad you called. I was starting to think we'd never get back together-"

"Hunter, we're not getting back together," I said matter-of-factly, keeping my voice low but looking right at him. "I want you to tell me what you did."

"I don't understand-" His voice broke a bit as he stared at me, confused a bit.

"What did you do, Hunter? I know you're not telling me something," For a few seconds I just looked at him, thinking of what to say next. I looked around the café and sighed. So many couples. Unlike us, they were chatting happily with smiles on their faces. "You're seeing someone else, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not seeing anyone-" I looked back at him and offered him my hand to grab. He looked down at my hand with a shocked look. Without questioning, he placed his hand on top of mine.

I saw everything.

Kissing, chatting, dancing, flirting with one another, clothes shopping together. He hasn't introduced her to any of his family or friends. He doesn't want anyone to know. She doesn't know what he is... She's blind to him playing her. The Hunter I knew, the one I loved, is gone.

I pushed his hand off of mine and stood up from my seat. Before walking away, I said, "I'm sorry for not being there for you. I'm sorry I didn't try to make things work. I'm especially sorry that I led you on. If I'd know how much of a player you were from the start I would have accepted Jake's proposal."

"You don't mean that." He tried to reach for my arm but I slapped him across the face instead. The café grew silent; I could feel everyone's eyes on the two of us.

"I mean every word I say. Goodbye, Hunter." I turned around and walked out, my pride not allowing me to feel an ounce embarrassed. Ella was right. My own mate cheated on me with a human... Can't say it was her fault. He led her on, trapped her with his charm and looks. In a way, I feel sorry for her. She deserves so much better than him.

Like Aristotle once said, "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.

I guess that love is gone for us.

My words echoed through my head as I walked back to my apartment. Goodbye, Hunter.

Goodbye for good.