Sweet Turned Sour

"Hey," Ella greeted me. She opened the front door an made room for me to enter. "You're just in time. Derek made tacos."

"Oh, awesome," I quickly hugged Ella before making my way inside. I made sure to be gentle when hugging her because of the baby. "What are the others doing?"

"Getting ready," Ella rubbed her belly and shut the front door behind her. "So, how was your day?"

"Good," I lied, trying my best not to give away how I was truly feeling. "Yours?"

"So far, great. I felt the baby kick for the first time today and Javin bought me something special," She lowered her voice and raised her left hand up to me. On her ring finger was a beautiful diamond band that had a nice sized diamond in the center. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"It's stunning." I looked over Ella's shoulder and at Derek who was making what looked like salsa. The shady, sad look on his face told me that he had heard us. He looked down at the bowl of food and sighed in frustration.

Sensing the tension, I offered Ella my hand and nodded towards the door. Without questioning, we exited the house and decided to take a short walk.

"Thanks," She said suddenly, her voice full of gratitude. I could tell by her relaxed posture that she felt comfortable out of the house. "He's changed... And it's my fault."

"No it's not."

"I know," Ella admitted. Her amber eyes darkened and she looked around the forest with interest. "I feel better out here than inside. Everything is so open, you know?" I nodded my head, feeling the same way.

"We better savor the peace while we can," I commented, linking my arm with hers. "Tonight's going to be chaotic. I just know someone's gonna lose control."

"Probably me," Ella joked, chuckling softly. "The only thing that stinks about being pregnant is the mood swings. One minute I'm smiling and then the next I feel angry or sad. I drive myself crazy."

"Like they say, being a woman's tough. We should know." Saying this to lift Ella's spirit, I watched a tiny smile play at her lips. Being a woman is difficult. Men will never fully understand what we go through. They can try, but they'll never know.

"So, was Roger able to help you out with your car?" She asked, changing the subject of our conversation. As soon as she mentioned his name my stomach flopped. Just when I was starting to forget about him Ella had to bring him up.

"He was able to help me out. Couldn't fix it, though." I explained, trying my best not to show how uncomfortable I really felt.

"Really? That stinks. What'd you think of him?" I didn't want to admit it, but Roger did seem like a nice guy. There was something about him that just wasn't right.

"He seemed like a nice guy."

"That's good to hear." Ella let out a relived sigh. Her voice was shaky. She sounded out of breathe, as if attempting to catch her breath. Her heart beat (as far as I could hear) was beating at a normal rate. I touched her shoulder and gave her a worried look. She wasn't telling me something; she was able to block me out and cloud her thoughts rather easily.

"What's wrong?" I asked. She looked as if he was about to pass out.

"Nothing. I'm just a little tired. A nap will help." She changed the topic. Within seconds her face changed from tan to pale and back to tan.

If she's physically fine then what's worrying her? I mentally questioned before slipping my arm underneath Ella's and helping her walk back to the house. When we arrived back, Javin and Derek were setting out plates and utensils. Sensing us enter, they looked up at us with curious eyes. The next thing I knew Javin was by our sides, examining Ella.

"You don't look so good," He slipped his arms around her and picked her up, cradling her close to him. She looked pale again; her eyes lightened in color and her body seemed weak. "No running for you."

"I think I'm gonna be sick..." Ella softly spoke. Automatically Javin carried Ella to the bathroom and locked the door behind them. Derek and I tried to persuade him to let us in to help, but he ignored us. His main priority was helping Ella. His protectiveness over her reassured me that he'd take very good care of her.

"She'll be fine," I reassured Derek calmly. He looked at me, clearly worried, and ran his right hand through his hair. I offered him my hand to grab. He accepted it quickly, his fingers clasped a little too tightly around my hand. "She's a tough cookie, Derek. She's strong."

"I know," Derek looked at me with a serious look. After a second of standing silently I hugged him. At first he just stood in place, his body rigid, not knowing what to do. After a few seconds he hugged me back. His breathing was fast yet paced; his thoughts were muddled and unclear. A year and a half after Ella and Javin's engagement, he still can't get over the fact that she didn't accept him. "She'll pull through..."

As much as I wanted to tell him to get over the proposal, I knew that would break his heart even more. He still thinks he can win her over, I mentally concluded. His hope is so uplifting. If only he understood that Ella and him were never meant to be... That fate played a cruel trick on him by toying with his heart, his feelings, only to make him yearn for something he can never have.

Damn fate.

Who knew something sweet could taste so sour?