Chapter Four, Part Two

We left the building, Emerson still booming behind us.

“Well, that went well,” Parker said. “Do you think he’ll leave?”

David grinned. “Considering he didn’t seem too thrilled about the princess here, I’d say yes. We’ll send a patrol by in a few days and we’ll find out.”

“What’s next?” I asked. “And please tell me I’m not going to get called bad names all day.”

David laughed. “We have a few more of these to do and some elderly Otherworlders we have to check on. You’ll get nerves of steel yet.”

By the time David said it was time to go back, we’d delivered ten evection notices, most promising if they didn’t bring me back they’d leave tonight. We visited the elderly after an hour break to drop off some meals. They weren’t as spooked by me, just more cautious.

After visiting a rather sweet old lady, we got resituated in the car and David got on his cell phone.

“Hey, Captain. We’re on our way back.”

There was a few seconds pause.

“Great. She scared a few of the repeat offenders but otherwise no complaints.”

Another pause.

“Sure thing. We need to make a pit stop and then we’ll be back.”

David looked at me through the rearview mirror as Gregori responded.

“Getting dinner. Give us an hour.”

He hung up after that and turned in the seat to look at me. “You know where you’re going right?”

I nodded, not needing him to clarify what he was asking. “I think so. Can you go the same route you took to get to Emerson’s?”

He nodded. “Sure thing.”

“I don’t think this is a good idea,” Parker whispered. “Cap said…”

“She deserves a break. Besides, she did well today. Let’s cut her some slack, alright?”

We drove in silence and when we got to a very familiar alley, I asked as calmly as possible for David to head down it. I knew what I was doing was probably wrong and would get both the guys in the front seat plus myself in trouble but I couldn’t help it.

David drove slowly down the alley and I tried to compare it as it was now to the way it was then. The memories flashed in my head and suddenly I had no idea what I was doing.

This was officially the stupidest thing I’d ever done.

“Ana…what are you doing?”

I didn’t answer him as David stopped at the end, waiting on me to tell him where to go next. I hesitated for a second, then two, then three. After that, I started working on autopilot. I got out of the car, neither of the guys saying anything as I went.

“You shouldn’t be here. Not alone. Call Luke. He’s still in the city…”

I ignored him and turned right on the sidewalk. I heard the car shut off behind me and both doors open and close, as well as the one I left open. I didn’t even pause at the door as I placed my hand on the doorknob. I knew it would be unlocked as it always was.

The handle gave with ease and the door opened, swinging inward. No creak or groan. Just silence.

“Ana…please don’t.”

I stood there in the doorway, my hands shoved deep in the pockets of my coat. The set of gear I was wearing actually felt, for the first time in my life, too tight. David and Parker were keeping their distance, being respectful I only assumed. I didn’t know if what happened that day spread through the Guild. I didn’t really care.