Chapter Nine, Part Three

The airport was packed. People were waiting around for loved ones, rushing to their departure gate, trying to find their luggage. All of it was a continuous buzz in my ears, the various conversations around me blurring together until it was one indiscernible dialogue.

David stood next to me, keeping an eye on everything as mine were currently glued to the gate in front of me. The plane landed a few minutes ago so all that was left was them…getting here.

“I don’t like this place,” David said.

I inclined my head in his direction so he knew I was paying attention even though I wasn’t looking at him. “Sorry.”

“Too many people.”

“And here I thought you were a people person.”

“Ha. I am a people person. Just not these people. They walk around like there’s nothing wrong in the world.”

“Well, as far as they know nothing is wrong. They have no clue some people can turn into animals or that there are sickly white beings living in the sewers and backrooms of their local businesses. People like being oblivious, David. You should know this by now. You’re like what? Fifty?”

He firmly gripped my shoulder and then shoved. “Thirty. I’m in my thirties you little shit.”

I chuckled and dodged a person that was passing by. David was good for a laugh and I was happy Gregori decided to send him with me. He was the only one most likely to make me appear normal outside of Gregori being here himself.

“Are you sure? Because I think those wrinkles are getting deeper…Sebastis!”

My brother appeared out of the gate doorway and smiled when he heard me. Sophie was hot on his heels as he headed in my direction. I never knew I would miss my pain in the ass little brother this much until he was really here. I headed off in his direction and I heard David expel an expletive.

“Georgiana.”

I ignored him and ducked around the several people who were standing between Sebastis and I before slamming into said black headed boy and hugging him tighter than I ever had in my life.

“I missed you,” I whispered.

With his bags and probably one of Sophie’s dropped at his feet, my brother hugged me back as tightly if not more than I was hugging him.

“I missed you too.”

For a few more seconds we stood like that before I drew back and looked him over. He was bigger, definitely taller…

“Damn. Have you been eating your Wheaties or hitting the gym?”

“You’ve seen me on Skype. Why are you acting so surprised?”

“You have a concave lens. You should look into that.” I turned my attention to Sophie, who just managed to reach us thanks to the crowd, and grinned. “Hey there, stranger!”

It was her turn for the hugs, although not as tightly as I had Sebastis, until David cleared his throat from beside me.

“You’re not Gregori Phillies,” my brother said, sounding a bit suspicious.

“Nope.” I ended my hug with Sophie and patted David’s arm. “This is my friend David. David, this is my brother Sebastis and his girlfriend Sophie.”

They shook hands and then my brother being my brother asked, “Where’s Phillies?”

“Slayer business. He asked me to keep an eye on her,” David answered expertly.