Chapter Eight, Part One

“Tell me you love me.”

“I love you.”

“Tell me you want me.”

“I want you.”

“Promise me you’ll never let go.”

His arms wrapped tighter around me. “I’ll never let you go.”

I buried my face in his shirt, his heart beating steadily just below. I pressed closer and waited. My breath flowed out and then the knife cut into the top of my spine this time, twisting just a little and severed my brainstem. My mind shut off instantly.

I sat up and took a deep breath. I thought I’d gotten used to Aidan killing me every night but this time…it was worse. I didn’t know if it was because I had a hallucination where he kissed me or if it was because it felt like he really loved me this time. I always thought it would be easier to bear that he killed me if he didn’t connect the dot that led him back to me.

Because who wants the person they loved to kill them?

“You alright?” Gregori whispered, running his hand up and down my arm.

At some point after I’d fallen asleep, he must’ve moved us to the bed. Not that I didn’t mind. The floor was hard and who knows what it would’ve done to my injuries when I woke up.

“I’m fine. Just a bad dream.” Was there any other kind?

“Another nightmare?”

“Aren’t they always?”

“Tell me about this one. Please.”

I looked down at him and he opened his eyes, an Irish green gleaming up at me. I wish I could tell him about my dreams. Maybe it would help but every time I tried…

“I can’t.”

He sighed and propped his head up with his hand. “You have so many secrets. Sometimes I wonder if I know you at all.”

I sank back down and turned to face him. “Of course you know me.”

“Not all of you.”

“The parts you don’t aren’t important.”

“But they’re still a part of you. A part I can’t touch.”

I closed the remaining space between us and pressed my face against his chest. This conversation could only end so many ways and I was hoping it wouldn’t be of the bad variety.

“It’s a part you don’t need to know. It’s a part you don’t want to touch.”

I closed my eyes and listened to his heartbeat and intake of breath. Both were slow and steady.

“I just want you to be happy. I’m worried I can’t do that.”

“You’re doing just fine.” I took his hand and laced my fingers between his. “A little more of this and we’ll be set.”

“Well that I can give you.” He kissed my forehead. “I just hope it’s enough.”

I opened my eyes and looked up at him.

“What do you mean?”

“I just hope I’m enough.”

“What—why are you…?”

He touched my face lightly, his Adam’s apple bobbing. “I know I’m not always what you want. I know sometimes it’s…one of the Vampires you’d rather have laying next to you. I don’t know which and I don’t want you to tell me. Just promise me if this becomes something you don’t want, you’ll tell me.”