Chapter Eight, Part Three

I opened my eyes and looked at him. The emotion rolling off him made me queasy and very unstable on my feet in the office. Jon took a hold of me and guided me to sit in one of the chairs.

“Deep breaths. I know this is hard but you have to do this.”

Michael.

He pulled me to him and kissed me like he’d never kissed me before. It spoke of heartbreak, of sleepless nights, of pain, anger, and complete devastation.

Everything else melted away but this, the bond flared back to having some sort of living pulse. It was the strangest feeling, of him being me and me being him. We were so much a part of each other in that moment that I didn’t really know where I was and I didn’t care. We’d never done this before and I never thought it was possible.

He released my wrists to wrap his arms around my waist, tugging up on my shirt to feel the skin beneath.

Technically, this was all us, what we looked like, what we were wearing. The connection was so great I thought if I just stepped forward, I’d really be inside him, as much a part of him as his heart or his lungs.

I ran my hands down his chest, briefly refamiliarizing myself with the contours of his torso, and then like he had, I slipped my hands under his t-shirt and touched him. He took in a sharp breath and his whole body shook.

This was affecting him as much as it was affecting me. He opened his eyes and looked down at me, the crystal blue that haunted my dreams completely flooded out by black. For a normal person that would scare the bejeezus out of them. For me it just reiterated the fact that he needed me as much as I needed him. Neither of us were fairing well during this forced separation.

But I wanted to take a few seconds to get a good look at him, drink in all the details that I’d missed or forgotten despite the face the color of his eyes was temporarily taken over.

The reason behind why I was doing this wouldn’t be ignored for long, however.

I tilted my head to the side, still keeping eye contact with him.

Take what you want.

One hand cupped the back of my neck. You know it’s not the real thing.

I closed my eyes without saying anything. If I could give him something that would help him until Jon could get my real blood to him, then I would.

“Take it,” I whispered.

He kissed his scar first, like he always did. Then I felt the prick of his teeth and suppressed the urge to jerk away. I felt it pouring out of me, whatever it was he was taking. I gripped his hips, my fingernails pressing into his skin. That only made him bite down harder, the bond flaring back to where it was before we’d said goodbye. Back when it was at its strongest.

That’s when I felt what he was taking. He was pulling in some of my essence and replacing it was his.

Don’t stop.

He moaned in response, pressing me closer to himself.

“Little Ana, your time is growing short,” Jon whispered in my ear in the office.

Michael growled in response and released my throat. He glared down at my end of the bond and clung to me. His embrace was no longer that of a lover but possessive.

Mine. He hissed.

I reached up and touched his face, bringing him back to me.

He knows, love. He’s only there because you asked.

His eyes and expression softened as he turned his attention to me. The crystal blue I loved and missed filtered back in, making me smile even though it wasn’t happiness I was feeling. Not completely.

He cupped my cheek, hard, like he was having a hard time believing I was really there.

You’re in danger.

I know. I got the preshow yesterday.

Are you hurt?

He looked me over, checking for injury. Not that he could find any. I appeared healthy and normal where we were.

Nothing serious. Why didn’t you tell me it was this bad?

I didn’t want to worry you.

He rubbed my cheek where tears were falling. I gripped the front of his shirt, not really ready to let him go even though I could feel Jon’s irritation over this taking so long.

I love you, Michael. Tell me next time. Don’t wait until it gets this bad again.

He nodded. Jon’s going to stay with you until I deal with my uncle.

I know. He told me. I’ll give him what you need before he leaves. I would right now but…

You’ve lost blood. I can tell. Did you read the letter?

I don’t need to. There’s no point in rehashing it again. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I have to go.

Do you love him? He wrapped his hand around mine, pushing his fingers between them.

Are you going to ask me that every time?

He didn’t answer, just waited for my response.

No but you already knew that.

I do but I wanted you to tell me.

It’s not going to change. I care about him deeply but it’s not love.

I gripped the armrests in the office but Jon took one of my hands in his. “Wrap it up, Ana.” A dull burn started on my inner arm, signaling the Angels had taken notice of this little interlude.

I love you, Αγάπη. I wish it was me there instead of him.

Which him?

He mouthed “both” and then kissed me one last time.

I’ll leave the bond open until he leaves.

He squeezed my hand and nodded. I’ll do the same.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to see his face as I was sucked back to the office. I felt like I was being rewound as I fitted myself back in and opened my eyes, releasing my breath. I left the door to the bond cracked, the new glowing golden door.

“Well, if you two are that hot from just a kiss and a supernatural bite, I’d love to see what you look like after…”

The door opened and Gregori stood there, his lips pressed into a firm line and his brows knitted together. During all of that, I hadn’t felt guilty about what I was doing but now that I was looking at the person who would be hurt most…

There wasn’t going to be a repeat of what happened with Aidan. I wouldn’t allow it and I was determined to keep it that way. This wouldn’t happen again.

“So?”

“Jon’s staying. For now,” I whispered.

“Why?”

“She has a bounty on her head. Didn’t you hear that part? Ten million big ones,” Jon said.

“And why is he needed here?”

“To prevent what happened yesterday,” Jon said. “All the nightcrawlers are coming out of their hiding places and you can’t protect her like she needs. That’ll be my job.”

“Says who?”

The whole time Gregori was looking at me but now he looked at Jon as he paused before answering.

“Her Vampire.”