Chapter One, Part Two

I knew he kept an apartment away from Sword & Arrow. He told me it was for privacy since everyone there knew everyone else’s business. At least this way he could keep some things out of the gossip mill. It was as private as we could get.

When I woke up in the early hours of the morning, the light from the sun just touching the horizon, I was regretting that last shot of whiskey. And the one before it and the two martinis before that. Bare skin was under my face, an arm draped around my waist.

My whole body locked up, freezing instantly.

This was not something I was used to. Michael was gone when I woke up that last morning and Aidan…well, the final time with him was probably a mistake. Loving him was a mistake. Everything with him was a mistake. I’d decided that a long time ago and it wasn’t hard to convince myself of that.

But now…I was at a loss on what to do next.

Gregori’s breath was even so I knew he was still asleep. I moved slowly so I wouldn’t wake him when I got up and grabbed his shirt from the night before. I needed to leave and think this over. Because right then, looking down at him while he was asleep, I was having a hard time deciding what was right and what was wrong.

And this was so many levels of wrong.

I crept around the bed, looking for my panties and dress. I found my underwear tucked halfway under the bed but there was no sign of my dress. I sat up once I was done pawing at nothing under the bed and was suddenly met with a pair of green eyes.

“Jesus!”

I startled and fell back on my butt. I pressed my hand against my chest where my heart was pulling double time.

“You…you’re supposed to be asleep.”

He looked tired but smiled. “Don’t tell me my training is already fading. It’s not a good sign if it is.”

I shut my one eye which started throbbing after he said something. A major headache was brewing just behind it and the ache was quickly spreading to the rest of my brain. “I can’t really think right now so you’re going to have to remind me.”

“If you’re going to go, just go. You should never wait around for…”

It clicked in my head. “For the other person to become aware of your presence or come back. Yeah…I forgot that one.”

He tried really hard not to look amused as I stood up.

“I was looking for…”

“Dress is downstairs.”

His bedroom was technically a loft above the rest of the apartment. I went over to the half wall and looked down. I spotted my dress draped over the chair like a blanket.

“Um…” I turned and looked at him. “I…I’m just…god, would you stop looking at me like that? I can’t think with you doing that.”

He reached out and took my hand, that electric shock traveling up my arm and to my special places. He trapped me with his eyes, that tunnel vision kicking in, and I was unable to do anything other than let him pull me back in.

Before I knew what was happening, his weight was pressing my naked body down and I didn’t want to stop kissing him. When the shirt had come off, I have no idea.

“What are you doing to me?” I asked a little breathlessly. I wanted to sound sterner but it didn’t work that way.

“Nothing you’re not doing to me.” He lowered his face until he was a breath away. “You make me forget where I am when you look at me and a shock, like electricity, runs across my skin when you touch me.”