Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I slammed my last stake into the last Underworlder’s chest. It screamed and crumbled to the ground. The whole fight lasted maybe five minutes. From what I could tell I had several lacerations, one deep gash across my ribs. My ankle was sprained and my wrist felt broken.

I crawled, slid, whatever motion I could handle, over to the ladder and gripped the bottom rung with one hand while I caught my breath. It was going to hurt but…hoisted myself up with my good hand. How I managed to get out of the drain I didn’t know. I just knew there was a lot of pain involved and when I got to the surface there was no sign of Cody.

He left me.

I whimpered as I threw myself on the grass, slamming the grate closed with my good foot.

“Cody!” I called.

I heard his boots slapping the concrete two minutes later, or at least I thought it was him. I was screaming his name loud enough.

“Miss?” A jogger stopped next to me, pulling his ear buds out of his ears. “Miss, are you alright?”

I swallowed the best as I could, blood sliding down my throat from the molar that was knocked loose.

“Phone.”

“Should I call the cops? Where you mugged?”

“I need…your phone. No cops.”

He looked me over and slowly nodded. He handed me the phone and I tried to dial the numbers but my hand wouldn’t stop shaking. The other was clasped firmly to my ribs. Frustration soon took me over and tears started pouring out of my eyes even though I wasn’t really crying.

“Here,” he took the phone, “tell me the numbers.”

I gave him Jesse’s phone number and he gave me back the phone after it started to ring.

“Hello?” Jesse said after the third ring.

“I need help.” I sucked in a breath. “I don’t know where Cody is…”

“He’s on his way back to base. We’re in route to your location. Where are you?”

“Where I’m supposed to be. A civilian stopped and let me use their phone.”

The jogger was looking over my wounds in horror and I could just imagine what he saw. I knew I was an absolute mess.

“Hang tight.”

Jesse hung up and I handed the phone back.

“Someone’s coming?” I nodded. “Would you like me to stay?” I shook my head. “Are you sure?”

I heard the squealing of tires, a welcome sound since I heard at least eight car doors open and slam closed.

“They’re here.”

The jogger got up and stepped back as several of my fellow Guild members came pounding down the concrete.

“Medic!” I heard Jesse yell just as he clambered to a halt next to me.

Two people led the jogger off to the side to question him about what he saw.

“What happened?” Jesse asked.

I swallowed and tried to pull in enough air to tell him the story but I just ended up coughing. A medic knelt down next to me, touching my shoulder as I tried to roll to my side as blood came up.

“I need room, go,” the medic said to Jesse.

“No,” I whispered, “wait. Cody. How…?”