Chapter Eight, Part Two

I visibly paled. “How is that possible?”

I opened my door, forgetting about my ankle for a moment. I jogged down the hallway, Hank rambling off about how this Vampire was apparently unaffected by the repelling spell.

“I’ll be there in a second.”

I closed my phone and punched the button for the elevator. The bond was still completely blocked off, on both ends. I couldn’t feel Michael anywhere and I worried if it was him, how he’d managed to get passed the pact let alone the Guild’s security.

“Shit.” I kicked the elevator door and took the stairs.

“Geo! What’s going on?”

Gregori caught up to me pretty easily, my ankle slowing me to only one stair at a time. The lights flickered once, Hank triggering the silent alarm. Apparently waiting for me was no longer an option.

“Why is the Vampire silent alarm going off?” Gregori asked way too calmly.

“Because there’s a Vampire in the lobby. You’ll probably get a page soon.”

We reached the main level and I tripped going through the door. Gregori grabbed my arm to steady me and then released me.

“Ok?” I nodded.

We went down the hall, passing the half empty security office. By that time the little hairs on my arms and the back of my neck were standing up. Danger.

The air in the lobby was tense, everyone having leveled their guns at the visitor who was still standing at the front desk.

I made my way through the crowd, everyone letting me pass with Gregori behind me. Before I even breached the front line of men, my surprise visitor spoke.

“Ah, Little Ana. So nice of you to join us.”

I knew that voice and I suppressed a smile as I came around Jesse. But what in the world was he doing here?

“Jon Winter.”

He turned around, hands held in the air in a casual way, like none of this was bothering him. I knew before anyone got a shot off, Jon would probably have killed half of them. A cigarette clung to his lips, a trickle of smoke making interesting patterns in the air as he grinned at me. That expression had everyone else more on edge.

“You know him?” Jesse asked.

I nodded. “We’ve met.”

Jon lowered his hands as the men dropped their aim but not completely holstering their guns. His eyes stayed glued to me.

“You have interesting friends, Little Ana Angel.”

“Yes, well, what do you expect walking into a Den of Slayers?”

Jon took his cigarette out and dropped it to the marble. I saw Hank wince but didn’t turn to look at him. Jon ground the cigarette out with the toe of his boot.

“We need to speak. Privately.”

Gregori stepped up next to me and Jon raised an eyebrow. He looked him over quickly before looking back at me. I saw the glint in his eyes change to dangerous colors.

“What’s it concern?” Gregori asked.

“Judas Iscariot. He’s put a price on the Hybrid’s head.” He cocked his head to the side. “It seems you’ve pissed off some major players, my dear.”

“You can talk in my office,” Gregori said. “This way.”

I fell in line behind him, unafraid of putting Jon at my back. Luke told me you could always tell his mood when he spoke. Right now, he was passive, calm. Although I sensed that he knew I was sleeping with Gregori. I didn’t know the outcome for that…