3

A loud air horn wakes us all up. It made me completely wide awake, jumping out of my bed to stand at attention on command. The girl's heads lazily lifted up. Eva glared at me as if this was my fault while Sadie and Katie had their pillows over their ears. Realizing it was Chris making the noise, my body relaxed to be at ease.

My father used to train me in such a way where air horns or other loud instruments just automatically wake me up when it rang. It was a curse. My father trained me well.

The rest of the girls all get up grumbling and complaining as we changed into our regular clothes to get ready for the day. Eva seemed mad about being woken up. Her teeth gritted as she fumbled to find her iPod before leaving the cabins. We went outside lining up in front of Chris ready to announce what the challenge of the day was. I walked up to the other side of the team, saying hello to the Gopher's.

"Good morning fellow competitors and friends," I said throwing a wave to them, my focus attentive on Trent who smiled, waving to me in return.

"Hi!" Lindsay flapped her hand happily with a grin.

"Morning! Hope you slept well." Chris said loudly.

"Bonjour, merci!" I said with a grin. Chris immediately frowned, appearing to have not liked my eager response. Supposedly it could've been rhetorically said.

//"I can't help I'm a morning person. I thrive in the earliness of being awake before the crack of dawn. It's empowering to wake up before everyone else."//

"Hi, Chris." said Heather. "You look really buff in those shorts."

"I know." He grinned at her, all while dripping with confidence before continuing on with the days challenge. "Okay. I hope you're all ready because your next challenge begins in exactly one minute."

"Oh, excuse me," interrupted Owen, "I don't know if that's enough time to eat breakfast."

Chris grinned at him, but it was sinister. "Oh, you'll get breakfast. Right after you complete your twenty kilometer run around the lake!"

"Vraiment? Oui!" I cheered to myself happily. "Now we're talking."

"Oh, so you're funny now? You know what I think would be funny?" Eva grew angry as she readied herself in his face. Duncan and Geoff had to hold her back from pummeling him.

"Eva! Try to control your temper." Courtney said in a hushed tone toward her.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?!" she shouted at Chris already wanting to throw hands, still being held back. Typical Eva. She always gets so mad so easily.

"If you don't calm down, Eva, your attitude will be the cause of your elimination." I retorted nonchalantly. Her teeth gritted in my direction, her ears fuming pink with rage that put a satisfying taste in my mouth. I hope she can use that energy to run.

"Shut up, Syd!" Eva sneered in my direction. I shrugged, unfazed by her attitude. It only drove her more insane.

"Aww but I love talking." I said with a taunting grin which frustrated her more. "It really brings out the anger in you."

"Can you not edge her on?" Courtney asked with a glare in my direction.

"Can she be less grouchy?" I ask with a pouted frown, sending Eva into a bitter rage as the boys restrained her.

"You have thirty seconds." Chris instructed making everyone focus on the game rather than each other. "Okay, runners! On your marks... get set... go!"

I was the only one who got into runners position before taking off. Some were running along side of me. Some chose to walk. I took the challenge to see how far and fast I could go. My legs surpassed all of them, and I was barely breaking a sweat.