His Offer

I stayed in my house for days and didn't leave. I was upset that Garroth had cheated on me with Aphmau even though we were dating and he said that he didn't have any feelings for Aphmau. I practiced with my bow and arrow sometimes but I aimed for spots around my house. People would knock on my door and I wouldn't answer it. Today was just that.

   " Y/n! Please let me in! " Laurence yelled.

   " ... "

   " Y/n I'm your best friend, let me in and we can talk about this! Garroth is really concerned about you and he doesn't know what to do because you won't talk to him. At least talk to me. "

   " ... "

I stood up from the couch and walked to my kitchen. I pulled the bread from the cupboard and sliced myself a piece. I spread some jam on it and took a bite. I retook my seat in front of my fireplace and just stared at the flames. I finished my bread when I heard my window open. I looked over and saw Laurence climbing through my window. I smiled at his success of getting in but his smile faded when he fell onto the floor. He stood up and dusted himself off. He shut the window to the dark outside world and walked towards me.

   " Y/n...you look sickly. "

   " Do I? "

   " Y/n you don't look like yourself. You're thinner and your skin color has gotten paler. Your eyes are not as bright as they used to be when I last saw you. What happened? "

   " I don't want to talk about it, Laurence. Please just leave me alone. "

   " Y/n, you need to talk about this. Please even if it's just to me, you need to explain what happened between you and Garroth. "

   "  Laurence... "

   " Please, Y/n everyone is worried about you. "

   " Why don't you come back tomorrow and maybe I'll tell you. "

   " You're not joking with me or lying? "

I looked up at him and our eyes connected in the light of the fire.

   " I promise, just go home for now and get some rest. "

   " Okay! I will! "

He turned back towards the window and opened it. I watched as he put his legs through the open window and climbed out. He shut it behind him and started walking away from my house. I sighed and looked back to my fire.

   " I need to get a lock or something for that window. "

I curled up on the couch and let myself drift into m thoughts.

   ' How did I get here? I was just a traveler and now I'm settled down in a  village and I had a boyfriend but he cheated on me. You know sometimes I miss it when Garroth and I weren't together because we still had a lot of room to work things out before actually dating. I remember talking with Zane all the time. I wonder how he's doing. I kind of left him with no explanation at all. '

I sighed and felt my back relax against the armrest of the couch. After a couple of minutes, I got off of the couch and I got ready to douse my fire out. I grabbed the water bucket and started pouring the water on the fire when a knock resonated from my front door. I halted my movements and set the water bucket down.

   " Laurence probably forgot something when he crawled in here. "

I walked to the door and opened it expecting to see Laurence but I didn't seem him. I saw someone completely different, someone, I didn't think I would see again.

   " Zane, what are you doing here? "

   " Hello, my dear. May I come in before I am spotted by the guards? "

   " Sure. "

I opened the door wider and he stepped inside my home. I shut the door after I realized he had no guards with him and he was on his own. Zane stood in front of my fireplace that was still barely lit. The small flames highlighted a few of his features but it wasn't bright enough to make them bounce. Memories came back to me of what he did to Phoenix Drop while he kidnapped me.

   " I thought you couldn't come back to Phoenix Drop. "

   " I still cannot. I was able to come in secret, no one knows I'm here. "

   " Ah, I see. Well, what are you doing here? "

   " I came to see how you are doing. You left so abruptly that day. "

   " Yes. "

   " So, how are you doing? "

   " Right now...not that great. "

   " Why? "

   " Well, you see...your brother and I...We-"

   " You both started dating. Yes, I would assume so after you left the castle and made it back here. "

   " Yes, but a few days ago we were having a picnic and when we were leaving he needed to retrieve something he left behind. I heard something in the woods and when I went to take a look I saw him...kissing Aphmau. "

   " I see. I'm sorry for your situation. "

   " It's nothing you need to apologize for. "

   " You look very different since I last saw you. Your skin has become paler and your eyes are dim. You have been very distressed over this, haven't you? "

   " Yeah. "

   " What if I made you an offer? "

   " What makes you think I would take your offer? After you made Alexis become a shadow knight and destroyed parts of the village, what makes you think I'll listen? "

   " Because I know you are distressed. You haven't left this house in days because you didn't want to face my brother and you have been depressed. You need a change of scenery. Somewhere that my brother is not and that you can walk around freely with beauty. "

   " ... "

   " Here is my offer. "

He turned towards me and I could see that his gaze was serious but at the same time calming. He reminded me of the Zane I met a long time ago when we first bumped into each other and talked. He had his hands behind his back in a straight posture.

   " Come back with me to O'Khasis. "

   " What? "

   " Come with me to O'Khasis tonight. It's a place you're familiar with and you can live in the castle with me. You can wander around O'Khasis and see the sites, live a wonderful life in the castle with me and it'll be a change of scenery where you don't have to see my brother around. "

   " ... "

   " What do you say? "