Chapter 40

*

*

Loki couldn't stop pacing. Somehow, constant movement felt better than sitting. Stillness felt helpless. Thor had tried to make him sit down multiple times, but it was no use. Hours had passed with no updates on Maeve's condition. Odin sat near his sons, an expression that could pass for concerned etched upon his face.

I told you! Loki wanted to scream at him. I told you she wasn't well! Look what happened! It's your fault!

But really, it wasn't all Odin's fault. Deep inside, Loki worried that it was his.

Maeve hadn't been feeling well for weeks now. Even through their fight, he noticed her irregular sleep patterns and lack of appetite. How could he not notice? Argument or not, he still loved her. But he was consumed with anger, he brushed it off, ignoring it just like he ignored her.

Frigga finally emerged, an odd sort of look on her face. The three men stood, eager to hear the news.

"She's going to be all right," the queen said. Her words caused them all to relax, all except Loki, who stepped forward.

"What happened to her? Is she ill?"

"She's going to be all right, darling, so don't fret. I know you're a bit scatter-brained right now, but I've got her all taken care of. I promise." She embraced him. He accepted this hug, as she was one of the few people he would tolerate it from."Odin, a word? Privately?"

Loki frowned at her change in tone. Her voice was now sharper, more concerned. And if it concerned Maeve and her well-being, why was she speaking to his father and not him?

"Yes," Odin said, looking thoroughly confused. "Of course, my dear."

"I want to see her-"

"In a minute, Loki. Be patient."

"Mother, I think that-"

"Thor, hush."

The two brothers exchanged confused glances as Frigga pulled Odin into the room and shut the door. Instantly, they pressed their ears to the door, a tactic they often used as children, but to their dismay, the sound was muffled. Running a hand down it, Loki felt the familiar hum of his mother's magic and smacked it in irritation.

"She's charmed the door," Loki said, groaning. He took a step back and rubbed his hands together, still worried. Until he saw for himself that his wife was alright, he wouldn't believe it.

"It's like she doesn't trust us!" Thor grumbled. "We're grown men!'

A tiny smirk crossed Loki's pale face. "We were just attempting to eavesdrop through the door, Thor. Perhaps she has a reason not to trust us."