Chapter 36

*

*

"It's going to be okay."

Maeve nodded, but she didn't believe him. Not a single comforting thing Loki had told her all morning made a dent in her anxiety.

"I think I'm going to be sick," she muttered, sinking into a chair in front of the mirror.

He knelt down next to her. His emerald eyes met her teary blue ones. "Maeve, you've got to calm down. I hate to say it like this, my love, but if you break down in front of the Council, they will not take you seriously."

"Wow, you've made me feel so much better," she said sarcastically, smiling through her tears, which he wiped away with his thumb. "I just... he's my father, Lo. I know it's silly of me to feel bad, considering everything he put me through, but I do anyway! It's so... infuriating."

"Listen to me." Loki tilted her chin up. "There's nothing wrong with you feeling the way you do. You are a truly gentle and empathetic soul, and I truly believe that you don't want to hurt anyone."

While he never suffered from this situation, he understood that she was far kinder than he'd ever be. Personally, he wanted to rip Frey to shreds, but that wouldn't do, and saying it wouldn't help. He just needed to be there for her.

"Then how do I do this?" She whispered, completely at a loss.

"Think about it this way. You're not condemning your father. You're saving your brother."

"Right. Saving my brother." A moment of silence passed between them. Then, Maeve swallowed thickly and said, "I'm going to need your help."

"As I've said, I'll be right by your side the entire time."

"No, not like that." She sighed, upset of what she was about to ask him to do. "I've given it a great deal of thought. I grew up with these men. They will not believe me. They have faith in Papa, you see. Years of loyalty. They won't just take the word of a young princess. I need actual proof backing up my accusations."

Loki understood what she meant and a horrified expression crossed his pale face.

"You want me to show them your memories?"

"You can project an illusion-like recounting of what really happened between my father and me throughout these years."

"Maeve, I can't-"

"Yes, you can. And you must," she said urgently. "For Asmund."

"But those are your nightmares!"