Chapter 15

Another school day. It's Wednesday and until now I've just been talking to Elsa in the breaks but we have held hands time to time while sitting. Mostly just while listening to music together.
I've got to tell her about the mind reading and everything sometime.. or maybe I should wait? Her aunt doesn't even know about me.. But I doubt Elsa would want to tell her about me because her aunt wouldn't react happy. I don't want to put any pressure on Elsa so it might be best to just tell her the next time we meet.

The sooner I find the person the better is what man in moon said about our mission. And maybe - just maybe we can stay together afterwards. On earth for a year. And then.. I hope forever. What if she's not it? I wouldn't be able to see her when I have to leave. I'd have to leave her. And I probably won't be allowed to tell her why. No, that can't happen. She has to be it. The bell rings and I snap into reality. Luckily I already finished that assignment everyone was working on until the lessons end. Break, here we come!

The first break today we both spent on our own. But we occasionally looked at each other. Elsa told me on Monday this week that she'd like to draw during the first break and then we can spend the second break together. I agreed on that, like that I can read in the first break and then look forward to talking to her on the second one. I understand that she needs some time alone - she's used to that after all, before she met me she spent all her breaks on her own.

But now it's time for our break together.
We sit underneath the tree and watch the sky.
"I've been thinking.. what do you wanna do when you're done with school?"
I won't really have a future after school. I'm not from here.. If only she knew.
"I don't really know yet. What about you?"
"I don't know either. I could do something with drawing or music, like making art - maybe for movies or books.. But sometimes I feel like that's not what I'm supposed to do.."
"Don't worry, I know you'll find your way.. It's really hard to tell what the future holds, how you and everything around you changes." I say, reassuringly.
"Thanks, that's right."

We both watch the sky then I turn my head to her. Just admiring her beauty. I could never get enough of watching her somehow.
Then she turns to me and says
"What I know is just that I really want you to be in my future."
I smile and take a strand of hair from her ponytail in my finger.
"I want you to be in mine too. Definitely."
We both smile at each other then we turn to watch the sky again.
I feel her head fall on my shoulder.
I remember our time at the park.. I rest my head on hers as well and take her hand in mine. I close my eyes..

But after a few moments I hear a familiar voice. I open my eyes and see the girl that tried to ask me out on my first day here
"Ewww, those weirdos are together now? Of course Elsa makes the first boy she meets her boyfriend. She really is that desperate, isn't she. And now she feels cool because she has the new mysterious boy wrapped around her finger.." Many people around us start looking at us.. I feel my anger rise.
I stand up, letting go of Elsa to walk closer to the girl.

"How dare you talk about her like that! You have no idea what she's like, I've never seen you talk to her. Besides our relationship and what she does is none of your business."
"She even made him believe she's special. Wow what a pathetic attention seeking brat!"
"You're wrong! You're..!"
I feel Elsa take my arm.
"Jack please stop. Don't let her get to your head."

I lower my voice and then look at Elsa

My face expression instantly changing from angry to sad. I see her looking at me in fear. I've never seen her like that. It makes me.. feel really bad.
"I'm sorry.." I remember how peaceful she is. She must hate conflicts like this. I realize she must be able to live with her aunt in peace even though she can't see Anna because.. She avoids conflict at all costs.

The girl from our class starts talking again
"Now she's trying to manipulate you again. Aww, how sad I am, care for me Jack.. or is she already getting jealous! Believe me Jack, you don't want to be with someone like her!"
The people around us are still looking at us. Some are smiling, others are watching in fear or just interested to see what will happen.

I pull myself together. Don't let it get to you. Don't let them influence your happiness. That's what Elsa told me.
"Believe me, I want to be with her. No matter what you or anyone else here may say. Other people's relationships are none of your business.. And aren't you the one who's desperate for attention when you call us out in front of everyone else like that?"

The bell rings. The girl looks angry.
"Were not done here! I am always right, you know that!" With that she walks away. I look at the people surrounding us. Many of them start walking away as well. But some are still looking at us. Not smiling but surprised.

Then I feel a hand on my shoulder. A boy from our class tells me
"That's how you deal with someone like her. She really just wants attention, I'm sorry for that.." Then he walks away. A few other people look at me, no at us, Elsa and me with recognition. One girl walks up to Elsa and tells her
"I'm sorry, what she said isn't true. We all know that. Don't worry, she's the brat around here not you." I look at Elsa. She looks relieved and smiles at the girl.

The girl walks away and she looks at me.
"Sorry I got so angry. I.. couldn't let her talk about you like that. You know that you mean a lot to me no matter what anyone says."
"Of course I know that. Good thing you got calmer again. I understand that you want to protect me and I really appreciate it but.." She says while looking down
"You don't like conflicts." I tell her as I lift her chin up
"And I can't blame you for that, I don't like them either.. But sometimes I act before thinking. You're.. much better at that. Remaining calm. That's inspiring about you."
She smiles. "Thanks. But also thank you for standing up for me."
"Anytime." I tell her "We really should get going to class!" I say as I realize were alone on the schoolyard
"Right, let's go!" She says as she gets her things and I get mine. We run to class hand in hand.