VIII. 𝑀𝐴𝑅𝐼𝐺𝑂𝐿𝐷

REVISED: 11/26

WC: 1,856

       𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝐴𝐿𝐴𝑅𝑀 𝐼  kept on my bedside had begun it's incessant beeping that I had been waiting for for nearly an hour. After my dream I found sleep to be nearly impossible, it was different from the nightmares that habitually plagued me. I had dreamt of frigid hands caressing my skin, tucking curls back behind my ears. It was the first night I'd seen those amber eyes watching me from the darkness and I found myself hoping that it wouldn't be the last.

       I shook the thoughts from my head, swinging my legs from the sheets. A chill ran down my spine causing me to look at the window to the left- it was open and I had no recollection of leaving it that way the night before.  I stumbled my way to the casement, resting my hands on the sill. I allowed myself to take in the scent of the morning dew in an attempt to calm the thoughts invading my mind before pulling the latch closed.

       I took my time preparing for the day, dressing myself in my usual lace dress and sweater and applying some light makeup to aid in the covering of my dark circles. I fluffed my untamable hair in the mirror and took a long look at my reflection. I looked decent, dare I say pretty.  The comfort I found in looking so normal surprised me. I walked downstairs and found a fresh pot of coffee and a note on the counter- well, not a note exactly. A signed permission slip was laid on the granite. It was for a field trip I had completely forgotten about- a trip where I would undoubtably be accompanied by Jasper. Fuck.

_____

       Bella had arrived in my driveway by the second mug, alerting me with her blaring albeit effective call for me (three honks from the rust-bucket). I slipped my book bag over my shoulder and ran out the door, scrambling to make it into her truck. She shifted into first gear and sped out onto the main road before I could even begin to reach for my seatbelt. 

"Good mornin' to you too, Isabella." She shot me a sideways glare which I outwardly returned.

"No- just no.", she seethed, gripping the steering wheel tighter,  her gaze burning on the road.

"Are you..okay?"

"Honestly- no."

"May I ask why?" She let out a groan.

"Edward." I let out a chuckle and she responded with another glare. I quickly realized this was a serious situation for her.

"Did you talk to him..about..you know?" She nodded her head and managed to loosen her grip on the wheel.

"He basically acted like I was crazy- he gave me some bullshit about an adrenaline rush. Can you believe that? A fucking adrenaline rush." The white knuckles returned after her little burst. "Did you talk to his brother about it."

"Well, I kinda' did.." She shot me a look.

"What do you mean 'kinda'.." I fiddled with the hem of my dress before responding.

"Well..I- I don't know. I sorta' just thanked him and ran away before I could embarrass myself. It looked like it wasn't his secret to tell."

"Your love for Jasper Hale can be really inconvenient at times." She abruptly pulled into the lot into the view of all five Cullens. 

"Bella, I swear to God."

"Are you really going to sit here and tell me you aren't in love with that man?" I climbed out of the truck, her trailing behind me.