Chapter 9

Ricky's POV

"Kate, I'm sorry." I whisper to her before I sink the needle into her skin, making her eyes roll to the back of her head and close.

"Why did you put her to sleep? What happened?" Chris asks as he walks over to us.

"The demon blood." I say as I rolled up her sleeves to see her wrists. Her veins are black on both arms. "It's slowly taking over the angel blood, that's why she was in pain. I had to put her to sleep or else she wouldn't have been able to control herself. She could have killed one of us at that moment."

"How long until the demon blood fully takes over?" Andy asks.

"I don't know. But I'm guessing, not a lot. We need to start moving." I say.

"And what are we going to do exactly? Follow the compass in car?" Josh asks.

I shake my head. "This is something we need to do walking." I reply before standing up, lifting Kate into my arms.

I take the compass out of my pocket, letting it float in the air.

"I'm not waiting any longer. Whoever wants to come with, feel free. If not, stay behind. It's going to be a long and maybe dangerous journey." I say.

"Well it is your father." Andy replies. I roll my eyes and watch the compass fly towards my left.

I look at Chris and nod. Everyone gets their weapons and walks behind me as I follow the compass, halfway to meeting my father again after so many years.

____

-Night-

My eyes feel heavy as I walk below the full moon, the light guiding the dark way and bathing us all. Everyone follows tiredly behind me.

I stop and take a deep breath.

"I think we should camp here for the night." Ryan says. I look at him over my shoulder to see him bending down, his hands on his knees.

"You guys can. I can't." I says.

"You can't or won't?" Andy asks.

"Won't. Time is running out." I reply.

"Ricky, you're not thinking straight. You're tired and stressed out." Chris chimes in.

Andy walks towards me, motioning for Kate, asking if he can take her. I hesitate, I don't trust him. But I'm tired and my sister is kind of heavy. Without much more thinking, I hand her over to Andy. I sigh and run a hand through my black hair.

"You're right. I am tired and stressed out. I didn't sign up for this." I say and turned to face Chris.

"Neither did Kate but it isn't your fault nor hers. This was your fate-"

"And my fate is to lose the only family I have left?!" I raise my voice.

"Ricky-"

I take away his vision and replace it with the memory I have of when my sister was born.

"Ricky, you have to promise me that you will take care of her and protect her."

"I promise."

A small tear runs down my cheek as I feel and see the memory myself. I give Chris his vision back.

"My life changed the moment she was born and it will change again the moment I.." I swallow hard, a lump forming in my throat, water filling my eyes completely.

"So you're saying you wish I was never born?" A familiar voice asks.

I turn around and see that Kate's awake.