Chapter Twenty

The heavy wooden gates of the town open for us with a shout of the guards at my sighting.

I swallow, shoving my nerves away, catching Hana's gaze.

He nods, a motion that with him, means many things all at once. Those being that he is here for me, that he will protect me, that I am doing well, and that I shouldn't worry or be afraid.

I smile, grateful to have such a wonderful man in charge of my protection.

You're doing great. You'll be absolutely fine.

My grin widens, full of confidence now as I look sidelong at Lance's handsome face. I do my best to control my emotions, but seeing my people's faces only lightens my mood as they gather on either side of the road.

Most people clap and while some cheer, some whisper to each other as they watch me ride forward.

"Princess?" And, " Lance!" They exclaim, trying to comprehend the situation.

It was well known throughout the kingdom that Lance and I were very close, and when we thought he had died, I started to speak less and less to them. They understand that it wasn't anything negatively  towards them, and they gave me space.

It also might shock them to see Lance with a different company, wearing the colors of someone else. The thought still makes my blood boil on occasion.

Two lost loved ones, returning together, and at once.

I can't fully blame them, I am sure no one gave them an explanation as to why I had left... my father informs them little of the happenings of royalty. I am the one to go around and speak with people, telling them of important things.

It doesn't help that my father's scribe is a snake and doesn't do his job. It may also come to a shock that their beloved princess is dressed as a man, and armed as well.

The crowd follows us to the stables anyhow, and we stall our mounts as quickly as we can, and then head up to the castle.

Prince Sam is to my right with his men while I am in between Hana and him. The rest of my guard follows behind us and we mount the steps to the wooden doors.

"Hana!" Comes a shout from above. "And The Lady Lyra!" Comes next in surprise. "Open the gates!"

The doors are slowly opened, and we walk through, Hana and I with our company going first.

I rest a hand on my sword hilt out of habit and pause to watch a young man, in his twenties, jump down the steps that lead to the top of the wall, were there is a walkway for the guards.

He stops in front of us, cheeks pink, and presses a fist into his left shoulder and bows low. "My lady, welcome home! You have been dearly missed."

I smile at Hana's younger brother. "Thank you, it is good to be back. Arise, Hener."

He straightens, and embraces his brother after a moment of smiling at me.

Hener looks quite similar to his older sibling, but his golden hair is slightly curly whereas Hana's is straight. They have the same tall frame and stature, and the dazzling blue eyes are nearly a perfect match.

Hana grins and touches his forehead to his brother's affectionately.

Hener is a great fighter, and has a position as the third in command as a knight.

If it were up to me, I would have him in my guard along side his brother, as he wishes, but it doesn't quite work that way.

To become one of my, my mother or father's personal guard, you have to be set against the captain of the current guard. They are only able to join once they defeat them, or last more than six minutes against them. Also, in order for their to be another eligible to join, there has to first be an opening in one of the guards.

Seeing as all those in mine currently are in good health and young, it isn't likely that there will be an open slot anytime soon, unfortunately.

"Good to see you brother! How was your journey?" Hener starts, eyes drift over his sibling's shoulder and takes a step back from him, bowing again, though not as deeply as he had for me. "Prince, welcome back, it is a delight to see you again." His voice is empty as he speaks, only rising to his full height again when I tell him too.

Hener looks at his brother and nods. "I expect to hear everything later at supper." His blue eyes flick to me again and he smiles. "And again, welcome back princess."
He then turns on his heel and strides back to his post.

Prince Sam had ignored his greeting, and instead moves forward, passed me. On his way by, he pauses and stoops low to whisper in my ear.

"You should not treat them as friends."

I stare at him crossly, and shove my way passed him, knocking his shoulder. "I shall speak to my men however I wish." I snap in response.

Hana and the others scurry to catch up to me.

How dare he try and say how I should treat my people, as if he lives here. I grit my teeth against the annoyance, and something soon grabs my arm, stopping me.

I spin around to come face to face with Sam.

My entire guard draws their swords, his following suit, but the prince doesn't waver. He says nothing, but only stares into my eyes until I yank my arm from his grasp.

"Never touch me again." I hiss, hoping to make him drop back as I continue to walk on.

He follows me, and keeps my pace with ease, thanks to his long strides. "You should try and get used to me Lyra." He says, resting a hand on the weapon at his belt.

I glare sidelong at him. "I wouldn't count on it Sam."

No, I wouldn't indeed.

-------------

Tried to update quickly for you guys again, sorry I know it's short...

Prince Sam though... ;D

Comment, vote, all that stuff and you'll honestly make my day :)

-A.