Chapter Twenty-Two

Many people had flocked around our two companies as we walk, and one servant had come up to me and said that the king and queen are in the throne  room.

I am certain that my guards are the only thing that gave me away as me, and only after a double take would they see that it was, indeed, me.

Many of the men and women who work in the castle watch Lance and I in awe.

"Is that her?"

"That's really her, isn't it?"

"What caused her to run like that?"

"Is that Sir Lance? What became of him?"

"The colors of Whales?!"

"Is he a traitor? Surely the princess wouldn't allow his entry if he was."

"- well, I heard that she's supposed to marry Prince Sampson."

"No, no, She's to marry Prince Samson's father, is what I've heard. "

"I might run for that too. I hear the King threatened banishment! "

The hoard of gossip follows behind us all the way through the hallways.

We stand out side of the big wooden doors that lead to the throne room, and I had paused, my head swimming.

My hands find my knees as I bend over, sucking air in greedily, trying to calm my feelings.

Hana is by my side in an instant, a reassuring hand on my shoulder as he leans to whisper encouraging words in my ear.

Sam apparently doesn't like this, and noisily shifts his weight behind us.

The rest of my guard step forward to make a type of barrier around me, to shield me from the prying eyes of the castle servants and others.

Lances voice is heard among the commotion of wordless chatter as I try to focus on breathing. Am I going to faint? That would be terribly womanly, wouldn't it? No, that wouldn't do.

Lance tries to push through, but my guards refuse to move.

I swallow the bile that rises in my throat, and look up at at the captain of my guard. "What if- what if he banishes me? What if he hates me? What if-"

"Ms. Lyra, " Hana says softly. "If we based our lives on what if's, then were would we be? There would be no hope left in the eyes of your people. There would have been no hope of us finding you. And, even if something were to happen, I can name a few men now, who would become fugitives just to stay with you. "

As he says this, my eyes drift around us to my guards, who all have worry stamped into their expressions.

These men. My men. They would follow me beyond any order of the king, beyond anything they've ever known... they would follow me to their deaths.

Pride wells up in me in that instant, at the fierce loyalty of these men, the ones that I have known for years, who's fathers protected me as an infant.

They will back me, no matter the situation.

I swallow again, and straighten up, putting a hand on the hilt at my side and smile up at Hana, who gives one in return.

"You're right, Hana. Thank you. "

He steps back and gives a sweeping bow, the other guards following suit. "Milady." He says gruffly. "The king awaits."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

As if there was an invisible barrier, the ceaseless chatter stops along with the owners of the voices as I step foot into the throne room.

I hold my breath as I stride up to the three chairs, my eyes cast downward. Perhaps I should beg for forgiveness...

My footsteps echo not alone, as my company follows faithfully, close behind.

Prince Sam hasn't spoken since we entered the castle, and I'm grateful for it, or I may find myself taking a hit at him.

That wouldn't end well with our guards, there would be one hell of a fight out of that, and Lance knows that I would never forgive him if he was to strike Hana.

"Daughter, why do you not look at me? "

I swallow deeply, and slowly raise my eyes to my father.

Im shocked at first, to see that instead of scowling or glaring at me, my father, who is sitting high and mighty in his too-big, jewel studded chair, is smiling.

Not a forced, pained smile, but a genuine one. What had happened to him? Did someone cast a spell upon him?

Seeing my confusion, my mother laughs, with tears in her eyes, and both of my parents step down from their chairs.

My feet seem frozen to the polished, marble floor as they near, my head brimming with confusion.

What is going on?

My mother is the first to embrace me, and I stand, motionless for a moment, as my father pauses to look at me, tears brimming his eyes, and hugs me.

I cannot remember the last time that the king had embraced me, let alone touched me at all.

I feel tears well in my burning eyes as I wrap my arms around both of them tightly.

No one speaks, until my mom looks up and sees Lance.

She gasps, and shakes her head, pulling away. "Lance! Darling, we were sure you were dead! Our Lyra, she- she wouldn't eat, she wouldn't sleep. Whales," she says, looking down at what he wears. "I see."

Lance bows low at her acknowledgement. "Milady, quite an interesting story."

"Which, I expect to hear later at the party tonight. " She says, making me look up, as if I couldn't get anymore confused.

"Party?" I ask.

My mother touches my cheek with her hand fondly. "Yes, a party. We've made arrangements for a ball to be thrown tonight, for your arrival, and- " she stops, looking expectantly at my father.

He sighs, though he smiles, he doesn't seem terribly thrilled with what he's going to say." For the calling off of your engagement."

The small crowd put side of the doorway cheers and whoops.

"What?"

We all look at Sam, who stands looking angry. "Why was I never informed of this? I went to the extent of kidnapping her for you, so my father could marry her! "

My fathers dark eyes meet Sam's challengingly. "Plans have changed, boy."

Prince Sam, flustered, opens and closes his mouth, trying to come up with something to say.

My father raises an eyebrow before looking back to my face.

"Welcome home, daughter. We have much to discuss.

-

-

-

-

Thanks SO much for the positive comments guys, it really helped get this chapter going! I appreciate you all, more than words.

Even though I already posted one, here's a better picture of Lasreal, the day that Lyra caught him (only without the white snip between his nostrils).

Thanks so much guys, all of these reads, comments and votes make me feel good about myself:)

Again, thanks, and I hope you keep reading! If I forgot some thing you think should have accrued in this chapter, please, tell me, I probably forgot!

Yours truly,

-A.