Chapter Forty-Two

Sam's POV

We are a half a day's ride from Ghána, and it's stopped raining. Jed is mostly silent for the rest of the trip, and now stays near to me when we stop to rest. He's earned the respect of the Guards, and they allow him to ride with them, instead of on the outside of the pack as before. He now rides in the center of the group, and if I didn't know better, I'd say my men where protecting him.

He could have let me be killed, but he saved me. He saved all of us. I find myself unsure what to think of him now. I trust him, when my mind tells me that he is a threat. But, I find myself trusting more with my instincts. This rarely occurs because as a prince I was raised to trust no one. And it never happens with mercenaries, who should rather slit my throat than listen to me. We are now resting our mounts near a small creek, which is flowing abundantly from the previous rainfall.

"Do you think we could catch any fish?" Titus, one of the Guards asks Jed as he fills his goatskin, crouched by the bank. Titus seems to be taking a liking to him, as the boy saved his life. After all, Jed startled the robber staying his blade, and giving Thomas time to react.

The Guard is a younger man, in his early-twenties, and has yet to grow a proper beard. He is tall, a head or so more that Jed, but still shoulders smaller than Thomas, and not nearly as muscular, but still fit. I allowed him a place on the Guard for his skill of stealth and for his cunning way of thought. He has brought in many a fugitive undercover, tricking them into giving him trust and luring them back to me. He has been called the hoodwink of the court, and has earned respect for his title.

Jedediah looks quietly upon the water, grey eyes reflecting rays of sun. "Perhaps, if the beast is not near. He casts a nervousness upon the brook." He glances my way, where I am standing with Daziràs. The Vann Hest paws the mud with a hoof, snorting sea scented air in annoyance and tugging at the iron wrought bit that bites his tongue. The metal is supposed to keep them more tame and less likely to drown you, but they do not like it. I noticed that Lyra never uses iron anywhere on or near her beast, despite his wildness.

"If we were to wait till nightfall, they would be easier to catch. They don't fear humans in the dark, the shadows make them careless. But I think that shall be an event for another night." Jed looks to me as he speaks, standing from the creek and plugging the opening of his water bag.

I wait a moment to speak. "Lyra would appreciate our haste, I think. Let us continue to ride on until morning." I agree.

The mercenary nods, then looks back to Titus. "Another time, then." He goes to his steed, a loyal bay, who waits patiently near the creek bed, water dripping from his lips. His slender ears prick towards his master, and he begins to walk to him without being asked, meeting him half way. When I come to recall it, the horse hasn't fought Jed, even when he is close to Daziràs, while the others shy and buck. I haven't ever seen an animal trust a man so much as to stand near a Vann Hest without restraint.

Jed doesn't turn his face to me, as he straps his water to a saddle bag. "His name is Hamais."

I incline my head, but do not respond, less he be able to tell that I am impressed. I climb onto Daziràs' tall back, keeping his reins taut. "Let us keep moving," I address to the group. "Time is of the essence."

-

We rode at a hard canter until we got close to Panais, then slowed and unmounted. We left one man with the horses and Daziràs where they cannot be seen. We now crouch in the trees around the suspected area, scouting before we make any action. I have a good idea of where the Guards might be being kept, due to some further questioning of the prisoner before my departure. I briefly wonder if he is still breathing from our previous interaction. For his sake, I pray not.