Chapter Forty-Four

Lyra's POV

The dinning hall is quiet this evening, filled only with the clanking of silverware on gold rimmed dishes.

We had spent all day in the training hall, and by the time I find the king, it is time for the evening meal and both of my parents are having supper.

"Ah, darling! Come, sit, eat with us." My mother says as soon as she sees me stride into the hall. She wears a light blue evening gown, and her hair lays simply over one shoulder. Her brown gaze flickers to Lance, who follows behind me, and smiles. "Lance, what a pleasant surprise. Please, won't you join us? I would love to speak with you before you must depart."

Lance bows, and glances at me, as if to ask permission. "It would be a pleasure, ma'am."

I catch my brother's gaze, surprised that I had forgotten that they plan to travel back to Whales once Sam returns. My gut twists. I don't want Lance to leave, I wish he would stay here with me. I know I am being selfish. A second in command Knight needs to return to his post- he wouldn't just abandon it.

I eye my mother as I find a chair, pulling it out for myself and waving Kaladin away when he attempts to do it for me. "Stand by the others, thank you." He bows, keeping his posture polite and professional, and goes to the wall behind me where the other Guards stand.

Not long ago, the queen would never speak out of turn with my father in the room, and now she freely converses while the king is quiet. There is something amidst, but I cannot seem to put my finger on what it is. My mother has been acting strangely, more bold, since I've gotten back. What is making her so forward?

I look to the king, clenching my bleeding hand around the shaft of my bow, setting both atop the table defiantly. His eyes are already on me, watching me like a wolf does a stag. That is not typically a sign that a delightful conversation is about to take place.

I raise my chin high, and straighten my spine, taking up some authority. "Father, I have a question for you." I pause to see his reaction, before continuing, testing my limits.

The king leans away from his plate, wiping his mouth on his napkin. I hold his gaze as servers come to set food in front of Lance and I. Father does not wear his crown, which is not unusual. My parents and I only wear them with guests present, as they are really quite uncomfortable and heavy.

"Go on then." He speaks, dark eyes boring into mine. I feel him challenging me, but see his gray hair and tired face. I don't think he has ever looked so old.

"Where did Sebastian come from? Why is he on my Guard?"
My stomach growls as the steam of the soup beckons me to take a sip, just a spoonful. I haven't eaten since breakfast this morning, but I ignore it and keep my eyes trained on my father.

"Lyra, dear, no weapons on the tab- Oh my! Darling, you're bleeding!" My mother exclaims, voice raising in panic.

I ignore her, not looking at her or the food in front of me, keeping my gaze on the king. "Who is Sebastian?" I ask again, louder this time. I will not be waved off like a fly, I want answers.

In order to gain a spot on my Guard, the King must meet and approve of each man who passes the first stage.

"Get your hand off of the table," The king says, voice uncaring. "You're bleeding all over it."

I keep my arm right where it is and continue to stare at my father, feeling the tension between us crackle like lighting. My previous mood has only gotten worse, and I am up for a challenge, despite the consequences that are inevitably coming.

After another minute of our face off, my father sighs and passes a hand over his eyes. "You would be a better Prince than a Princess, daughter. You would make a strong King."