Chapter Nine

The town that we ride to is small, but beautiful. When we find a stable, We dismount and the others hand their horses to stable boys, while I untack Lasreal and put him away myself.

"We will be staying at the tavern in town. Find us there when you have finished here." Kaladin says over his shoulder while exiting the stable.

Jedediah and Adolin look back at me before following their leader out. They would have waited for me, but I know that they are as hungry as I am and I wouldn't dream of keeping them from a warm bed and a hot meal. A warm bed...

I lead Las into an empty box at the end of the small stable, at least a stall away from any other horses to the left. The one closest to him pins its ears and shy's away, pressing itself to the back of it's stall, showing the whites of it's eyes. Poor beast won't be getting much sleep tonight.

I catch one of the stable boy's staring from the doorway of the tack room. Looking over at him, I can see that he is no older than I am, though much taller and more fit than me, for obvious reasons. "I would not recommend bedding any other horse down in the box next to him." I say, turning to stroke Lasreal's velvet nose. "And do not worry about tossing him hay or grain. I will return with food for him. I take it you haven't seen a Vann Hest  before?"

The boy peeks the rest of the way around the corner and straightens up, as if feeling the need to show me that he isn't weak. "I seen em, but never had to care fer em."

I rest Lasreal's bridle on the hook nailed to the outside of the stall door. "Like I said, don't worry about feeding him. In fact, keep your fingers away from him all together, and you won't risk loosing an appendage. Just make sure that the other stable hands know, and keep him well watered. He drinks a lot of it."

The boy nods, rolling up his sleeves. "Sure."

I head towards the open door, the cool night breeze tousling my hair and rustles my cloak. "Were is the nearest butcher shop?"

He furrows his brow, as if it was a strange thing to ask, but gives me his simple directions anyway.

I slip out to find it, grateful that when I get to the main street, the darkness hides my face and my cloak from the blood on my shirt from prying eyes. I do not need people asking questions. I pull my hood up until I find the shop.

To my luck, they are still open, but when I step through the door, the burly man behind the counter looks half asleep.

I clear my throat, and he looks up with misty grey eyes. After a moment, it is apparent to me that he is waiting for my order, instead of asking for it. "Give me a whole round of a cow."

He eyes me up before he slowly turns to get my order.

Beef is not the cheapest meat, but Lasreal has been patient and well behaved, so I decide it would be worth the extra cost. I almost hadn't noticed that someone else walked in, until they step next to me, their arms folded. I glance over, my annoyance at their proximity disappearing when I see who it is.

The butcher man thumps the skinned haunches of the beef that I ordered onto the table top, and I aimlessly throw him a silver coin as I take in Lance's appearance.

He had grown taller, his hair is now cut more cleanly near his chin and he has stubbly dark hair growing on his face. Outwardly, he looks imposing and formidable, but his eyes are still kind and fond towards me. "Fancy seeing you here." He says, giving a warning glare to the butcher, telling him to mind his own. "Let me help you with that." He takes the big chunk of meat to carry for me. He leads me through the streets, avoiding the few people who are on their way home after closing shops or after finishing work.