Chapter Twenty-four

"Lance," Hana addresses, still stiff and untrusting towards him. "Might I ask how you got your hands on the Lady's crown, when it's been locked away? " His voice is quiet, but it holds a challenge.

We are half way back to the castle now; I have Hana or Lance on either side of me, and I stop to stare at my brother.

Hana is right, my crown should have been given back to me by my mother or father, who hold the keys. I hadn't thought of that, and may not have unless anything was said.

The two handsome men stop as well; Hana with his sword ready to be drawn as he stares Lance down.

"Lance, what did you do?" I ask, fear striking me. What has he done?

He swallows, his eyes still on Hana's hand.

I silently pray that there will not be a fight, because I care too deeply about both men for either to be harmed. Hana, I know, would fight to the death for me.

"Nothing, I did nothing." He says, looking to me, eyes honest. "Your mother gave it to me, said that you were upset and that it might make you feel better if I was to come to you with it. I was only doing as the queen asked of me."

"She is no longer your Queen." Hana says, expression cold. His stance is no less ridged than before. "How did you know where my Lady would be?"

Lance sighs, looking up at the darkening sky. "I've known this child for many years; I've taught her everything she knows. Of course I know where she will go when she is upset. I would be a failure as a brother to her if I did not remember these things. " He looks to me at the end of his speaking.

I didn't steal it Lyra, you know me better.

"How can I be certain that you are telling the truth? The king suspects you a traitor. " Hana says, standing close to me.

"This man," I say. "Is no traitor. If he says he did not steal my crown, then he did not steal the crown. His word is enough for me."

Hana looks at me a moment before nodding and taking his hand from his belt. "If you believe him, Lady."

My entire Royal Guard knows better than to call me by my first name in front of other people, it is seen as disrespectful.

I nod. "I do, indeed."

He casts Lance a long look be for grunting in response and stepping between us. "Very well. I will escort my Lady to the ball and leave her with the rest of her Guard. Then," he continues, glaring side long at my brother. "You and I will speak to the Queen about this, if she will have us."

I would protest, but I know that Hana is only being cautious - no harm can really come of it.

"Now let us make haste - I do not wish my Lady out this night; I've a bad feeling about this dark."

I nod, and we hurry along, heeding Hana's words. He is not usually wrong when it comes to his feelings about certain things, and it causes the hair on my arms rise like the hackles of a wolf.

The night is chilled, and I look up at the bright moon in the cold, distant sky. The air seems to be charged with electricity, and a cold shiver slides down my spine.

I look behind us, but only the darkness looks back.

Several minutes later, we are joined by gay stragglers on their way to the ball, laughing and joking with each other until they notice me.

One lady and a gentlemen pause their flirtatious coos at each other to bow low and curtsy in our wake.

"My Lady, " The man says, head bowed.