Chapter Twenty-Nine

I find it safe to say that I didn't sleep well last night; between Kaladin and my thoughts, I dreamed little.  When I did finally sleep, the slightest creek of Kaladin's chair opened my eyes again, and each time I cast a look over to him, he was either faced towards the window, or looking at me. I rolled my back to him so it was  less uncomfortable, but over all he was a gentlemen and never once did anything that overstepped his boundaries again.

I wake in the morning to a knock on my door, and I instantly look to the chair, which is empty, and a breeze blows through the open window.

"Princess, it is Penelope, may I come in? " The voice of my maid-servant asks from the other side. "I've brought your breakfast, and the Queen has asked for your presence in her chambers. "

I toss the blankets aside, and go to the window. "Just a moment!" I call, pulling it shut.

A piece of my personal stationary on the bedside table catches my eye, and I pause my way to the door to pick it up.

There is big, messy writing on the fine parchment, and I scan it quickly.

Lyra,

I've gone for now. Leave your window unlocked so I may enter again later. We'll keep an eye on the perimeters, and I will come warn you if something occurs involving you.  Burn this after reading.

I find myself surprised that Kaladin can write, or read for that matter, but I dismiss this and quickly do as instructed, crumbling the parchment up before tossing it into the fireplace. Kaladin kept it live all night, and the letter is quickly eaten up.  I make sure it is completely gone, then go to retrieve a blanket to drape over my shoulders  before calling for Penelope to enter.

The woman is short and stout, with brown ringlets pulled away from her face. One of my guards follows behind her, having taken the platter of foods from her burden.

I smile at them as they enter, pulling the blanket closer around my chest at the sight of Camisêal.

He is in his twenties, with dark brown curls and a face that is harder than need be, made cold by his short past. He came to my Guard an orphan, having watched his parents murdered in their own beds. He came to live at the court at age eleven with his aunt, coming from a noble family, he was permitted to stay.

Camisêal doesn't let his memories get in the way of his job, and is a Guard that I trust deeply. He worked hard for his position, and proves himself to me everyday.

He bows, keeping his eyes averted and sets the things on the table near the fireplace before striding out.

Penelope buisies herself at my wardrobe, pulling out dresses and shoes, matching them up. "Do you have a preference today? "

I shake my head as I sift through the baked goods, porridge and fruit on the platter. "Whatever you propose will do well, I'm sure. "

"Did you dress well on your own last night? We were on our way up when your Guard met us and told us not to worry. Said you requested us to retire early. "

I chew on a pastry, sitting in my chair and crossing my ankles. "I managed. "

"You had us all worried there with your faintin' and all. We almost came to check on you despite your Guard's sayin'. "

"Oh, yes I woke soon after I was laid down. The stress of things must have gotten to me, and I suppose I needed some air. I feel well now, thank you. "

She nods her head, then steps back to show me the dress she picked for today. "Will this do alright, malady? "

I swallow the last of my meal before nodding. "Yes, I think it will do lovely."