Chapter Fourteen

Queen Alandra Baudry's POV

I look out the window of my husband's room, watching the empty court yard with tired eyes.

My daughter has been gone for days now, and the king doesn't seem to miss her as terribly as he should.... Or at all.

My chest aches for her, to see her beautiful face once more. If I could see her again, I would tell her that things will be different. I will make things different.

I have strong intuitions that seemed a bit unnatural at first, but as time went on, I got more and more used to them.

Using these senses on my daughter has helped ease my pain in the slightest, but knowing the likes of the people she is with unsettles my heart and mind.

I've seen her in my dreams with four others, dangerous mercenaries.... But one that may care for her.

None the less, they are bound to get her into trouble... I know she's already been injured. Where, I cannot tell, but she is gaining health and courage each day.

I still haven't said anything to Aizen. He would only send his men to them to retrieve her, to bring her back to this place.

I wish her not to come back, but only with her consent... That is the only way that my daughter will return. Willingly... If I make my husband change this kingdom on his own, without the selling of his daughter, I know that she will.

And I, will make him change. I am going to break my silence to get my daughter back.

-

Lyra's POV

"Damn it, would you stop that!" Kaladin's irritated voice pulls me from my thoughts.

We had been riding for some hours now, and Syl had been throwing her knives at, and I counted, every fifth tree that she passed.

The one that set Kaladin off had gone dangerously close to his ear and into the log in front of him, spooking his mount.

"Sorry." She says without much sincerity as she pauses her pony and leans over to dislodge her blade.

Adolin looks back at his sister with an eye roll. "You've been vexing us all since you've gotten those bastard things. Quit playing with them, they are weapons, not a child's play thing."

Syl spits and glares at her brother, tucking her beloved knives away begrudgingly at last.

The herbs I had given to Adolin seem to have worked mostly for his head, but his temper had been short since we left, most likely from his churning stomach.

I stay quiet and look back ahead, listening to Lasreal's hooves crush sticks and twigs as we move on our way.

It is nearly sun down now, and it becomes apparent that we won't make it to another town tonight.

On the up side, there are less ferns and and more moss, so it will be more comfortable then some other nights.

-

We stop the horses at sundown, and as usual, I tether Lasreal up away from the other ponies, and slide his saddle from his back. Jed starts up a fire, and Kaladin goes to fasten the perimeter around our small camp.

I drag the saddle to the spot that will be my bed for the night, and take a seat, rubbing my sore shoulder. I've still had Lance on my mind since we left.

"Lyra."

I glance up, startled at the use of my real name.

Jed had been watching me from the other side of the fire, having finished it a while before.

I look around to the realization that the others had gone.

"Syl and Adolin are off to find water and more wood. Kaladin hasn't come back yet." He explains, standing and dusting himself off.
He comes to sit by me, but not close enough that it would be disrespectful to a princess.
"Does your shoulder still ail you?"

I roll it behind me a few times and shake my head. "It feels fine."

"Good..." He answers, looking away.

"What is it?" I ask, Pulling the cloth from my hair and shaking it out.

"I shouldn't tell you this, but Kaladin is starting to suspect you."

I furrow my brow as I pull my hair back, in a neater bundle then before. "What made him?"

"That beast. Be lucky that Adolin isn't the brightest, or he might have figured it out by now as well."

I sigh. I should have known that. Why didn't I just take a normal horse?

I already know the answer to that, because a normal horse would have gotten me caught by now, I would have been stopped at the gates of my kingdom.

"He doesn't buy your alibi. What if he starts to see through it?" He asks, a hint of panic in his hushed voice.

I lay a hand on his shoulder. "Then I will leave. As soon as he seems to be getting ready to say something, I will go. I have no desire to get you in anything that may threaten you, or the others."

He looks down and smiles. "How courageous of you." I can't tell of he is being a smart ass or not. " But Kaladin would never harm any of us, while he may chase you away, I doubt that he would harm you either."

"He seems a man that would, he's very cold." I say, after looking around to be sure that Kaladin hadn't returned.

"No," He chuckles. "He wouldn't. He took us all under his wings when we were on our own. He would never harm or abandon us."

I nod, and start to stand, but Jed's hand on my wrist stops me. I look down at him, and he turns a slight shade of pink, and let's me go gently.

"Be careful still, I wish you will not be discovered by Kaladin, as he may not harm you severely, he doesn't fancy being tricked or lied to. I pray for you girl."

-

A picture of the Queen, Lyra's mom!

-A.