Chapter 34

"Huh? I... I don't understand. Why?"

"I once raised orphans at a temple. They had no families, but they helped each other and lived together harmoniously like family. I wanted to continue living that way, but one night a child who broke the rules by not returning before dark encountered a demon. To save himself, he said he would feed me and the 8 children at the temple to the demon."

You saw a vein popping out on Himejima's forehead and a shiver went down your spine.

"In the area where we lived, the fear of demons ran deep... so we lit a wisteria flower incense burner each night. That boy extinguished the burner and invited the demon inside. Four children were killed immediately. I tried protecting the remaining four, but the three of them wouldn't listen to me. At the time, we didn't have a lot of food so I was weak. I was faint of heart and never even shouted. And I suppose they felt, that a blind man couldn't save them."

You felt a feeling of pity for Himejima, but continued listening to his story.

"The only one who listened to me was the youngest, Sayo. She alone hid behind me and the other three children ran off. The demon slit their throats in the dark and they died. I... But no matter what, I wanted to spare Sayo so I fought. The feeling of punching a living thing was like hell. I can never forget my disgust. For the first time, I swing my fists with my full might, with a power frightening even to me. If a demon had never attacked, I would've never known my full strength. I continued punching and smashing the demon's head until dawn. I lost much that night. I was hurt and risked my life to protect Sayo, but this is what she said to the people who came to help."

"That man is a monster! Everyone... he... killed everyone!"

You covered your mouth with a small gasp escaping from your lips as Tanjiro looked very sad.

"No way..."

"She must have been confused from the horror. She was only four. Which is understandable. Children are like that. Nonetheless, I at least wanted some gratitude. I wanted her to thank me for fighting for her. Those words alone would have saved me, but children are only ever concerned with themselves. The demon's corpse turned to dust and disappeared, leaving only the children's bodies. The authorities arrested me for their murders."

He then stands up. You assumed that was the last of his sad back story.

"If the master had not helped me, I would have been executed. After that I became a really distrustful person. And of course I didn't even believe in you. No matter how righteous people usually are, they show their true colors in times of disaster. And of course a demon who doesn't eat people, fighting alongside the ones who swore to kill their kind? Utterly impossible. But you two didn't run away, you didn't look away. You did not lie. You were straight forward and resolute. It sounds simple, but not many people are like that. Especially talking about demons. You two are special children. I have seen many people with the eyes of my heart, so if I say this, it is true. Everyone is uneasy about the future. From now on, I will help you two so that you do not take the wrong path."

"We'll do our best.."

"Thank you very much.."

Tanjiro was crying and sniffling as tears started forming a bit in the corner of your eyes. You wipe your eyes sniffling once and Gyomei puts his hand on your head and the other on Tanjiro's. You both were surprised, but laughed.

Gyomei smiles.

"Your training with me is complete. Good job seeing it through."

A few days pass and you were eating with Inosuke, Tanjiro, and Genya.

"Ah Y/N... thank you for that day..."

He bows at you and you wave your arms smiling as you give him a bowl of food. He thanks you and takes it sitting down on the floor.

"Oh did you do something Y/N?"

"Oh um well, I guess you can say me and Sanemi aren't on good terms right now."

You laugh a bit scratching your head.

"Why would Genya thank you for fighting with his brother?"

He tilts his head and you shake your head.

"I'll explain it to you later. So, Genya how was training with Gyomei?"

"Oh well despite everything, Himejima is a good person. He said he wouldn't make me his tsugoku cause I don't have any talent, but he guessed I was eating demons so he made me his apprentice. He told me to get myself examined and introduced me to Kocho."

"Oh? Really?"

"Kocho made a really displeased face. Every time we meet, she lectures me. You look pretty stubborn so I thought she'd give you and earful, but she didn't grumble much."

"Is have been the same if I couldn't use breathing. Are you feeling alright? I bet Shinobu is worried about your health too."

"You really think so?"

"Yeah! After I eat this I'm going to go see Giyuu. Wanna come?"

"No I can't. I still haven't moved the boulder one cho because I can't use breathing."

You continued eating as you listened to their conversation then all of a sudden Inosuke pops in the conversation.

"I'm almost there!! Ha ha ha ha! You can't use breathing? What a wuss!!"

Then as Inosuke said that, Genya jumps on top of his pulling at his hair and fighting.

"Hey stop that!"

They fight for a minute before Genya pins Inosuke to the floor by stepping on his back.

"If you were coming with me, I was going to tell you something on the way."

"Tell me... what."

"GET OFF ME!!"

Genya was out of breath fighting Inosuke, taking deep breaths.

"It's about your brother the Wind Hashira."