Chapter 18

Every day for a week Abi showed me something new within the city. A park, a museum, an art gallery, we even went to a concert and I finally start to relax into this new way of living. Abi, surprisingly, hadn’t been brought up in the country, within the pack territory, but right here in the city until she had been old enough to begin her training for the security team. This has made her an awesome tour guide as she knows not only the day-tripper spots but also the hidden gems. In short she has made this week bearable.

Adam had only added to the atmosphere in the apartment, he is fun, sarcastic and witty and has kept both myself and Abi in a good mood and high spirits. He had even been the one to escort me to my therapy session this week, although that had meant that Dr. Scott had mistaken him for Liam and had informed him about how great it was that I was able to trust him with this personal matter. Adam, in return, went all mumbly in his attempt to explain that he wasn’t who had been mistaken for.

Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, Liam hasn’t visited. He has been in the city on business but felt that there were too many eyes around to take the risk, whether he is paranoid or justified we don’t know and he’s not willing to test it. I can’t stop the sense of rage that takes over me when I think about how some stranger has us sneaking around our own territory and has sent me running into the shadows.

Today the rain is falling in heavy sheets and the clouds are low and grey meaning that there is literally nothing to see out of the large window, resigned I go back into my room. This sort of weather cancels any plans that we may have made for the day. It’s still morning but I know that the weather isn’t budging, so neither am I. I flop down on the large bed and stare up at the white ceiling, I’m exhausted. Without Liam here my ability to sleep through a full night has deteriorated, the dreams are starting to return and the effects are starting to catch up with me. Yet even now when I have nothing to do I can’t bring myself to doze off, the thought actually scares me.

Flexing my wrist and moving my lower arm up and down, like I’m lifting a weight, I start the exercises that Elizabeth set me to strengthen my arm. When I’m done I do the same with my other arm just to kill some time. Through the door I hear Adam swear at the TV and someone else cheers, there is some form of sport on and I have let him take over the lounge with whomever else from the team wanted to join. The ones who didn’t, including Abi, have the patrol.

Dragging my laptop out from under the bed I boot it up and wait, rather impatiently, for the password screen. If I’m going to be in here all day I might as well watch a film or something.

The afternoon is turning into evening before I hear movements from the lounge that indicate that the party is breaking up. I pause my second film of the day and slide up to the door cracking it open enough to glance through and see the small crowd hanging around the elevator doors. A little voice in my head tuts at me, saying that I should have spent the time with them, getting to know them, but to be honest I can’t sit through a sports match so I only would have annoyed them. Finally it is just Adam left and when he starts clearing up I go to help him. “Did you win?” I ask, in that typical I have no idea what I’m talking about kind of way.

He smirks seeing right through me. “It was Formula One, I don’t really care who wins, I just like to watch for the drama.”

“Okay then.” Well I tried. “How’s the couch doing for you?” I question whilst collecting glasses from the coffee table.

“I always start there but then I usually end up on the floor over there.” I hold back what would be an unpleasant snorting noise, but it dies when I see that he is pointing to outside my door.

“Why’s that?” I almost think I see his cheeks darken.

“It’s cooler down on the floor.” With just a quick nod I take the glasses to put them in the dishwasher and wonder if Adam might have heard any of the late night phone conversations I have had with Liam, I flush thinking how embarrassing that could be. It’s not like the calls are sexual or anything don’t get me wrong, I’ve never done it for real so I doubt I could convincingly have phone sex. But Liam does bring out this side of me that nobody else sees and I end up flirty and teasing, which only gets worse over the phone. I think the distance between us allows me to go that little bit further, gives me a confidence boost, because there are no immediate repercussions and I don’t have to worry about being careful. I decide that a new topic is needed.