Chapter 4

I follow Liam down corridor after corridor and up numerous staircases, not paying attention to my surroundings or even in which direction we are heading. We don’t walk together, I follow behind and stare at his broad shoulders, just like I did the first time I came here to see him.

“Are you okay? They didn’t freak you out too much did they?” He asks without turning his head to look at me.

“I’m fine.” I state, these days picking one emotion is too hard so fine is my automatic response to that question. My feelings are all over the place and even though I may not show it I am constantly going through mood swings. One minute I’ll be happy and the next I’ll just want to cry. We walk through a door which he closes behind us.

“Fine… that doesn’t give much away. I don’t think I have you completely do I?” He pulls up short and I have to break hard so I don’t walk right into him.

“What do you mean? I’m here. I’m moving in with you.” I ask with a sigh, not really wanting to go into this.

“Well, you’re here, obviously.” He says sweeping a hand in front of me. “But I don’t think you are really here.” He places his hands on my shoulders and I shake him off again.

“It’s been a tough day. I had to say goodbye to my family.”

“They’re only ten minutes away.”

“But they aren’t under this roof. I’ve never spent more than two weeks apart from them and now I live in a strange house with people I don’t know. I don’t have my mum to turn too or even my room to just hide from the world in.” Understanding lights up his eyes and he spins away from me and I once again follow him down a short corridor until we stop at another door.

“You ready for this?” He asks, our conversation is obviously forgotten and his excitement is almost tangible, I nod my head wearily, he types a code into a little keypad and throws open the door when a little happy noise chimes. He pulls me through and places me in the middle of a bright open plan area. There is a kitchen to my right with wooden cupboards, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances and a dark wood dining table, with chocolate brown leather chairs, under a window that looks out onto the back of the house and the woods. On the left is a lounge area complete with T.V. and comfy looking, duck egg, cloth sofas complete with fluffy beige throws and plush pillows.

Liam grabs my good hand and pulls me to the left, through the lounge, towards the doors that lead off and I try to supress my smile at his enthusiasm. “This is your room.” He states with a grin and I push through the door only to come to a stop just over the threshold.

I breathe a sigh of relief the room is actually a normal size, there is no vast open space, I will actually have to swerve around furniture as I make my way around it, it is homey and comfortable and… perfect.

The room is painted in a forest green, with deep wooden flooring that creaks only slightly as my feet work, of their own accord, to guide me across the space. I find myself to the far left of the room where a double bed stands with beige bed sheets and numerous pillows, my first urge is to throw myself onto it and to mess up the perfect arraignment, but manage to restrain myself. It is even complete with four posts that have very thin white curtains tied to them, which can be pulled to surround the bed. I feel like my childhood dream has been placed in front of me and I have a bed fit for a princess.

Resting lightly on the edge of the bed I survey the rest of the room, straight ahead on the opposite wall, next to an archway, is a flat screen T.V. for lazy days. Then on the wall to my left there are three floor to ceiling windows, one of which is opened inwards, like a door, letting in the winter air and ruffling my bed curtains and letting in a floral scent. I move to the open window and bracing my hand on the frame lean slightly out. Liam makes a distressed noise behind me and I can’t stop my smirk. “Worried?” I tease.