Chapter 12

Liam is right, the club isn’t that far from home, but it is still far enough for us to need to drive. I had slid into his dark blue Audi R8 Coupe with the same sense of luxury as I had the one and only other time I had been in this car before.

As I climb out from the depths of the bucket seat a guy slides up to valet the car away to some hidden location and I look around, valet? How posh is this place? The street is full of people; humans, shifters, scantily dressed people, well dressed people, drunk people, drugged up people, you name it they are here, but here is obviously the place to be. It’s a bar street and different songs mingle and distort as they spill out of a series of open doorways and drown my senses. I close my eyes to get my head under control and filter out some of the unforgiving noise. I can feel the heat of Liam’s body behind me as I sort myself out before turning round.

“You okay?” I nod my head.

“Not used to so much going on.”

“It can be a bit overwhelming for us.” He says looking worried but is soon distracted by the sound of his phone from his pocket.

“I can handle it.” I put on a smile before pointing to the club behind us. “Is that where we are going?” He nods his head. The queue is massive and although I don’t mind waiting I look around us for a place that might be easier to get into. “Should we go somewhere else first? Let the crowd die down.” I ask eyeing up a bar two doors down that people have no problem with just walking into.

“No it’s fine. We’re on the guest list… apparently.” He says staring at his screen. With a shrug he takes my hand and pulls us past the long line. I guilty avoid the faces of the people who were waiting here before we even got out of the car, maybe even into the car.

“Miller.” Liam states to the big guy on the door.

“You’re not on here.” The guy states before looking back up, he barely seemed to even check the list in his hands.

“It was last minute. I’m told that you should radio… Chris.” The guy pulls his walkie-talkie to his mouth and mumbles something into it. There is a crackled reply and the bouncer looks us over once again.

“I.d.” He replies and I fish out my little pink driver’s license. “Okay Mr. Miller, Miss Evans, have a good night.” We brush past him and someone else opens the glass door. A voice from the front of the queue makes a remark. “Should have put your name on the list.” Is the bouncers reply before he is drowned out by more music.

The first thing I notice is the heat and boy is it hot in here. Instantly I can feel sweat bead at the base of my neck and wish I had tied my hair up, I drag it over one shoulder in an attempt to air my skin.

“I think we should drink.” Liam whisper-shouts into my ear and I nod my head. He leads a path through a crowd of people and I follow closely behind, wondering the whole time if this place and my arm is really a good mix. Suddenly, there is a drink thrust into my hand, the bar had been surrounded by people but Liam is quickly back at my side.

“How did you do that?” I ask bemused.

“Some people find me intimidating.” He smiles in what would be a threatening way to most people. I take a sip and cringe.

“What is this?” I splutter as my throat burns. There is a cheeky look in his eye and a troublesome smile on his face.

“Devil Springs Vodka.” My mouth drops open.

“Seriously?” He nods his head. I had had a bad experience with this stuff once upon a time. Long story short, Liam had gotten me drunk on this before we even knew each other properly and I had ended the night with my head in a toilet. This stuff is known for being lethal to humans but it works like regular vodka on us. “Why is this stuff here?”