Chapter 29

A sharp pain in my arm wakes me with a start. I flinch away but I can't move, this time, however, I am drugged. I can feel my body attempting to follow my orders but is stopped short straining against the hold of strong hands. Gap tooth leans over me holding my shoulders down and Horace is holding my feet. I turn to Jasper who is knelt down beside me thrusting a needle into my arm.

"Stay still or this will probably hurt, I'm not actually trained to do this." He says and I can actually see the strain of concentration across his brow, that is beaded by sweat, and how hard he is trying to steady his arm. I look down at the needle, I had assumed I was being injected with something, more of the paralytic stuff, but I was wrong, as the little clear tube fills up with a deep red liquid my brain finally catches up. They are taking my blood.

"What are you doing?" I try to control my tone but my fear has gotten the best of me since I first woke up here yesterday, my training has failed me or I have failed it.

"What we were told." Is the only reply I get.

"Is that all you ever do?" I mumble through my teeth as he jerks his arms and pain jolts up mine.

"Of course." I feel the pull my skin as he tugs the needle out, his rough movements causing blood to pool and drip slowly down my arm and on to the hotel carpet.

"Dammit Dex you made a mess!" Gap tooth frowns hiding his gap. So Jasper (or the tall one) is actually called Dex.

"Shut up, that is harder than it looked. Ryan, tissue." Horace jumps up, leaving my legs free, to follow his order. For a split second I imagine myself throwing my body away, catching gap tooth of guard, swinging my legs around and kicking out at Dex, I could land a pretty good kick into his temple from here, but with three against one I wouldn't get very far and honestly I don't think I am even strong enough to get out of gap tooth's grip.

"Why do you need my blood?" Ryan hands me a tissue and when Gap tooth finally lets go of me I hold it against the small hole in my arm. With the freedom to move I do what has been bugging me and look under the blanket that has be covering me since I first got here. The clothes I am wearing are men's and way to big, probably belonging to one of my three jailers, but at least they are something. I sit up for the first time in so long that blood rushes to my head and makes me dizzy.

"Experiment." Dex says with a shrug as he wraps up the sample of my blood and places it into what looks like a glasses case. "What do you care if you aren't going to be around to see it?" I actually have to admit that he has a point, but that is my blood and if they are going to be doing something with it I want to know what. I know, however, that I am not going to get anything from these loyal followers, I need to talk to the man in charge.

"Where's Peters?"

"On his way." Ryan sits down on the sofa next to me and offers me an apple, with a shrug I take it as soon as I bite into it my stomach growls in appreciation.

"Why feed me if I'm just going to die?"

"We haven't been told not to and your stomach was growling in your sleep."

"Thanks." I whisper taking another bite.

"How's your leg today?" Dex says pulling out the chair under the desk, I shrug and stand up. It aches but more from lack of use then actual pain, I roll up the leg of my borrowed shorts and wipe away a streak of dirt to look at my thigh, there is a slight pink blemish midway up but there is no way to tell that it was once a bullet wound.

"I'm all healed." I feel a heaviness settle on my heart. "Peters can continue with his plans."

"All in good time." Gap tooth grins. "I'm not being funny girlie but you stink of the woods. Before he gets here I think you should take advantage of the hotel's power shower." Once again I don't see the point if I am just going to die but on the other hand it will give me some time away from the guys, so with a nod I lock myself in the bathroom, not that it would be any good if they wanted to get in here.