Chapter 16

“I have to leave?” An awkward silence hangs over the small table in the blue room. It is the first week in November and Alpha Miler has called a ‘family’ meeting. As usual Penny and Brent sat next to each other, his left hand brushing her right and vice versa whenever one shifted in their seat, also, as usual, I had Hunter on my left and Liam on my right, flanked by the Miller brothers. Out of the corner of my eye I can see the tension that has built up in the set of Liam’s jaw, just like his parents my hand brushes against his, he latches on, his fingers knotting through mine on the table top. The gesture is not lost on Penny and I am just in time to catch the ghost of a smile and the fleeting sheen in her eyes.

“Yes dear. It’s for the best that you are… relocated for a week, maybe two.” I can’t get my head around this, they practically force me to move in and now they are kicking me out again.

“Is this really necessary?” Liam questions in a tone that would scare me if it was directed at me. Brent doesn’t even flinch.

“Yes.” Is his answer. Penny rolls her eyes and elaborates for her mate.

“We were given notice last night that we are to be receiving a visitor at the end of the week, and Alpha from a pack down south, Alpha Peters.”

“So why does that mean Lettie has to leave?” Hunter sounds like a business man questioning a future partner, since he started running his own club he has matured considerably. However, I can still see my childhood friend in the way frowns and his eyebrows knit together. I reflect back on Panselinos and can’t help but think that an eighteen year old with their own club is crazy, I mean he is only just old enough to drink.

Alpha Miller shifts in his chair, could it be that he is uncomfortable with what he is about to say? “For her own protection. This visit is not only short notice but is also completely unnecessary, this set off some warning lights. After a little bit of research we discovered that he has two children a son, who is his successor, and a daughter.” A bad feeling settles in my stomach. “We may be wrong but we think he may be coming here in an attempt to join his daughter to Liam.”

“I’m with Scar.” Liam states bluntly without a moment’s hesitation and I can’t hold back the grin that forms on my face.

“She isn’t of an Alpha line and she isn’t your mate yet.” The grin disappears. “He will come, expect to see the competition for Alpha female and will attempt to show how his own daughter would be better suited for the position.” The big bad Alpha sighs and seems to shrink into his chair. “Because I made you give up your true mate this Alpha, and probably more of them, will see this as an opportunity to get a foothold into our pack through bonding. I refuse to underestimate any of them.”  His strength seems to return with his resolve. “They can come but they will not see Scarlett let alone get anywhere near her. If they knew of her some may be determined enough to… remove her as an obstacle.” My breath catches in my throat as I follow his meaning, someone may try to kill me to get their daughter a position at Liam’s side. “We are going to deny her very existence to other packs until you are announced as the Alpha couple at the New Year celebration.”

“That is two months away Alp… Brent, how can a whole pack keep me a secret for two months?”

“We will pass the tournament of as gossip that has travelled and warped along the way and by removing all evidence of you from here hopefully they will believe it. As for the pack I will be announcing all of this at the meeting tomorrow and will be stressing that any mention of your connection to Liam, to any unknown person, will be a punishable offence. It may seem over the top but I have gambled with your life once Scarlett and I will never be doing it again.” I can’t believe what I am saying but in that moment a little bit of warmth for Brent begins to grow inside of me. I always saw him as a serious, manipulating, uncaring murderer, but right now I feel like a cherished member of the family. He is pulling out all of the stops to ensure my safety, who could fault him for that?