Chapter 34

I can hardly move around the flat for boxes and suitcases, all full, heavy and ready to go. I look around the room that was mine, the canopy bed, the floor to ceiling windows, the walk in closet and sigh. For four months these four falls have been my refuge, my escape and my home. It may not seem like a long time but it has felt it. I am going to miss this room.

I turn to face the dressing area and can see the light spilling out from under the bathroom door, if I listen hard enough I can hear Liam on the other side; the shower running, the click of bottles as they open, the squeezing noise as he pours out the liquid and then the re-click.

I think of going in there, boldly joining him just like the first time, but I know that that would be a mistake, one that neither of us has time for right now.

Instead I turn back to the empty room, by the time this night is over none of this stuff will be here anymore and this space will no longer be mine.

Picking up my bag I leave the room and with one last lingering look I turn off the light, for the last time it plunges into darkness. The rest of the apartment looks pretty much the same except that the sofas have had dustcovers thrown over them, the curtains we never touched have been drawn against the stars and the kitchen is spotless but empty.

Change is inevitable but recently I feel like that is all that is happening, I haven't had any time to just get used to anything. This home included. I can count on one hand the number of times I got to use the beautiful bath that Liam had installed for me.

Opening the fridge I pull out the only thing left inside; a bottle of vodka. Pouring two shots I throw back one and wait, the burn down my throat causes me to shiver and cough but I chase it down with the second before I lose my nerve and put the bottle away.

"How do I look?" With a smirk I look up at Liam, stood in his doorway, his hair freshly shaved around the sides, the top jelled back, the scent of his cologne and the scent of him mingled together floats across the empty space between us.

As always the sight of him gets my pulse racing and dries my mouth, something I am still not used to.

"Dinner Darling." I say still smirking, pouring him a shot and sliding it across the kitchen counter. He strides across the room and without even a flinch shots the clear liquid and pours himself another. I, in the meantime, admire him in his black suit jacket, the collar even darker than the main jacket, his white shirt the stark opposite. The look completed by a black bowtie and even a bright white pocket square. He is a true GQ model. He is mine.

Walking to his side of the counter I lean over him to grab the bottle back but am wrapped up in his hold and spun around. "Not too much." He chastises. "We can't be pissed when we get down..." His words seem to run out.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He shrugs, his hands on my waist. "You just look beautiful... That's all" I look down at myself and shrug back but can't stop the little smile that tugs at the corners of my lips.

"We scrub up well, some may even say that we're in the same league."

"Will you ever let that go!" He groans, referring to an argument from what feels like a lifetime ago.

"Maybe... one day." I straighten up and adjust my dress. It's simple, white with a deep V neckline. Tight and square shaped at the top and then floats out in a skater dress style. Then I had paired it with some deep blue skyscraper heels to add some colour and fun, but as tall as they are I am still only just above Liam's shoulders.

"Oh good." He states sarcastically, kissing my forehead. "Should we go?" I grab the bottle, plucking it up before he even notices I have moved.

"One more." I grin and he smiles back.