twenty one

as always, trigger warning! 

Valerie was patiently waiting for Jasper's ride to the forest. The Cullen's had invited her to watch them play Baseball on a Saturday – something that Bella swore that Valerie needed to see – and she eagerly accepted the invitation as it was an excuse to spend the weekend out of the house and to be with Jasper. She was currently waiting a block away from the clinic where she was currently going to therapy. Just by going Valerie was taking the risk of being seen leaving an appointment with her psychiatrist, and Forks was a small town where gossip was the only source of amusement.

It was a good day for the girl; it had been better than usual anyways. She hadn't had a mental breakdown in her little chair in front of the Doctor and he actually congratulated her as he was seeing some improvement in her. It probably also helped that her pills were starting to do its job 3 months after she started therapy and that she was feeling a little better than before. Waiting had been the worst part and trusting the Doctor hadn't been easy as well, but she did it. Feeling a little less desperate than before was always an accomplishment, and she had grown used to small, very small accomplishments.

Jasper finally appeared out of nowhere, mumbling angrily under his breath, his blond locks wet by the rain and a black hoodie covering his head.

'I'm sorry I'm late, I couldn't find a single fucking parking spot to- Oh. Oh damn. Are you okay?'

Jasper was startled for a second as the human girl literally jumped right into his arms. He grabbed the back of her thighs, holding her as she looked for comfort in his chest, snuggling and hugging him tight. They were glued for a few seconds with a very confused Jasper holding on to her; as he read her emotions, he couldn't find anything but happiness. Valerie finally snapped out of it, held his face between her hands and looked him deep in the eyes.

'I'm officially 3 months clean today. We made it, Jazz! 3 fucking months!'

Sometimes Valerie mad Jasper think that his heart was alive; he could almost feel it hurting with pride.

The thoughts between the two stayed between the two, of course, as the only thing the passerby's saw was two kids absolutely drenched by the rain – a blond spinning with a purple haired girl in his arms, both smiling at each other and laughing, followed by a kiss of adoration.

Nevertheless, as stormy clouds gathered in the sky and Valerie accidentally stepped on a puddle in the forest's clearing, Valerie wasn't so excited anymore. Jasper grabbed a baseball bat from the car and started spinning it on his hand. She laughed.

'Bella was almost begging me to come. Is it that boring?'

Jasper wrapped his other arm around her and laughed out loud.

'I guess you'll have to find out.'

Valerie used to think that Jasper Hale was the strongest person she had met in a long time; that is, until she met Bella Swan and her capacity of holding her until all the bones in her body were crushed into dust.

'Val! You came!' Bella greeted excitedly; Valerie looked at Jasper in a pleading way, begging him silently to stop the brunette from crushing her. Jasper laughed at them and hugged Edward who was next to them in a second.

'You're later, bro. I thought you were scared that I was gonna kick your ass.'

Jasper rolled his eyes and growled, pushing his brother against a tree. They dashed their way through the field and occupied their respective positions in the game, leaving the girls behind to talk to each other.