five

|TRIGGER WARNING|

Read with caution.

'WE NEED TO MAKE sure everything is perfect!' Elizabeth Addams babbled as she finished cooking her mashed potatoes. Her mother was in a frenzy making sure everything was on its place, that the food was cooking well, that nothing was burning and that the house was presentable. Valerie really did want to just accidentally fall down the stairs and snap her neck. Her mother had been too enthusiastic about Jasper coming over and she hadn't shut up for a second. As soon as she got home from her shift she made Valerie get up from the couch (where she had been since she woke up, after binge watching a tv show for five hours straight) and made her start cleaning. They were making dinner for the first time since they arrived to Forks since they had just been eating take away; her mother really liked cooking and so did Valerie, but the vegan take away in Forks was actually better than she had expected. She set a couple of candles in the middle of the table (her mother's idea, which had honestly made her cringe) and as she was setting a third plate her phone vibrated in her pocket.

jess

he there yet?

Valerie suppressed a laugh. Jessica had found this stupid dinner plan an absolute blast and was eagerly waiting for all the details. She tried to convince Valerie to invite her as well but she would rather die than have Jessica, Jasper and her mother sharing a meal together. This was already bad as it was.

The purple haired girl was still dumbfounded by his actions; he really had an attitude problem. He had shocked her when he say that he should have had the van crush her. She wanted to answer with a smart remark, but she had been too hurt about his rude and unexpected attitude. It hurt her, yes, but she didn't care; she was used to being hurt at this point. Jessica had told her that the Cullen's weren't exactly approachable. She replied to her text.

vals

i'll text you when he arrives. don't expect anything good

She felt empty while looking at the dinner table. It was always her mother and her (and sometimes it was only her due to Elizabeth's crazy shifts at work), and they would be having their first official dinner in Forks with an outsider. Sometimes she just wished her mother wasn't a surgeon. Sometimes she just wished her mother didn't work in the E.R., that she was more present and that they were able to see each other more frequently. Even though Forks was smaller, they also had less doctors so Elizabeth had to be around for longer. Valerie hadn't been expecting that.

Forks had its pros and its cons; back in Arizona they didn't usually have many guests over. But today they had Jasper over, and even though it was just a stupid boy, she knew Elisabeth would go insane over him; after all, he was the guest that had saved her from being crushed to death.

At 7 pm sharp, there was a knock on the door.

Valerie sighed and couldn't help but feel the lump in her throat growing. Here goes nothing, she thought. He would be over for what, two hours max probably. She could handle two hours of Jasper Hale being rude.

'Oh, he's here!' Burst Elizabeth, as she straightened her dress and glanced at her daughter. 'Be nice and remember to smile. Now go open the door!'

Valerie sighed again but proceeded to open the door. She gripped the knob and realized she was sweating.

Outside, a very focused Jasper Hale used his powers to calm her down as he wouldn't want her to fall down the floor crying and screaming in pain like she always did when they were together. Her mother definitely didn't need to see that and neither did Jasper. Carlisle still didn't have any answers for her reactions and that bothered him – not knowing what was going on, not being on control, not understanding humans.