Diary

Unedited

***

I won't tell your secrets
Your secrets are safe with me
I will keep your secrets
Just think of me as the pages in your diary...

Alicia Keys "Diary"

***

“If we are going to do this,” Chey stated with a stern look that didn’t waver, “we are going to do this right. I don’t wanna know anyone’s real name - it is safer that way.” She fidgeted with the napkin placed in front of her as she paused for a second. “I don’t want to know any locations that your story took place in. Got it?” Chey asked as she rested her hands back in her lap and sat up straight.

I nodded as I began to wring my hands in nervousness. All this was unnerving for my brain was telling me I was an idiot for telling her this. The information she now knows could get us both killed - let alone Colton if she was to tell anyone. However, I felt in my gut that I could trust her.

“Good,” she proclaimed and then smiled. “Now, tell me what’s been bothering you.”

Nibbling on my bottom lip for a second I wondered where to start. However, I realized that she knew about Colton and I’s past. She knew he raised me and how close we were growing up. She also knew he left and I went crazy in drugs and alcohol. However, she just didn’t know that Chad (a.k.a Colton) was really Mr. Sharp.

“Chad is really,” I paused knowing there was no turning back if I tell her the next words to follow. Inhaling and exhaling slowly I knew I was an idiot. “Well, he is Mr. Sharp.”

Chey’s eye went wide and her face paled. “What?! He was the one that raised you?”

I nodded, “Yeah. The story about my childhood I told you the last time we had lunch was true. He - Chad / Mr. Sharp - did raise me, he did go to college and he did randomly end our friendship two years ago. I did go crazy when that happen. All of it was true ... however, my grandmother got sick and my parents told me that I was not allowed to see her until I cleaned up. They didn’t want her dying memory of me to be one of a druggie. So, somehow I did. I got sober and spent the last few weeks my grandmother had, by her side. She died not too long ago and I didn’t take her death well, to say the least...”

“You relapsed?” Chey question with a raised eyebrow.

Shaking my head, I replied, “No, not really. I just locked myself up in my room. I refused to eat or get out of bed. My mother didn’t like my state and knew of one person that could get me out of my depression-”

“Chad? Or shall I say, Mr. Sharp?” Chey guessed as she interrupted me.

“Yes, he came and attempted help me ... however, there is something I didn’t tell you that plays part in what happened next. When I was in my drunk days, while Chad and me weren’t friends,” I told Chey of my employment at Fragrant Peaches and what happened there, leading series of events that ended with me stealing from Duke, who I named Sebastian. I divulged to her that what I stole from Sebastian wasn’t his, but Mr. Sharp’s.

“Back to the story,” I continued. “When, Chad came back I lost it and decided the best way to deal with my pain was to go to a party that I was texted about. I went there and my friend Qu-” I stopped when I realized I was about to tell her Quintin’s real name. “My friend Kale questioned why I was at the party. Long story short Sebastian lured me into the party, in hopes of capturing me because Mr. Sharp wanted payment for what I stole.

“With the help of Kale, I was able to leave the party, unscathed.” I exclaimed, “After getting my stuff, I went to a hotel and I called-”

“What about Chad?” Chey asked as she leaned forward, clearly wrapped up in the story.