Secrets

Unedited

***

"Tell me what you want to hear

Something that will light those ears
Sick of all the insincere
So I'm gonna give all my secrets away

This time don't need another perfect lie
Don't care if critics ever jump in line
I'm gonna give all my secrets away..."

- OneRepublic "Secrets"

***

I leaned back in my desk chair and smiled from ear to ear. I’d done everything Mr. Sharp asked of me. The papers he sent in the email were printed and stapled, upside down. As for the chairs that he wanted, well I pulled them out of the room, left them stacked neatly in a pyramid in front of the conference room door. 

When it came to the email, it was sent out to all the employees like he requested. However, I didn’t agree with his decision of not letting people off the day before and after Christmas. And, after looking at the office calendar, I noticed that people here got very few breaks. So, I sent the employees an email that they had the whole week off that Christmas falls on. 

Since Mr. Sharp asked me to send an email on his behalf, I was allowed to use his signature in the email, sealing the deal. After clicking send, I smiled and felt good that I gave these people a break from this hell hole. I knew, sitting there, that they deserved it and Mr. Sharp would try to send an email out telling everyone that the earlier email was not true. Yet, I was going to fight this — tooth and nail. 

“You look like someone who just won a million dollars,” Chey said as she came up to my desk. She rested her hands on her thin waist, and smiled at me. “It’s rounded ten, I’m already hungry for lunch,” She complained. “But putting my hunger aside, please do tell me what you have done.”

“Why do you think I’ve done something?” I questioned, knowing my face was like an open book. I couldn’t help it, I was over the moon thinking about the look that is plaguing Mr. Sharp’s face. It only made me giddier thinking of how the look of anger would be elevated on his expression when he sees everything I’ve done. 

“It would take a fool not to notice-”

Chey was cut off by a middle aged, chubby man, that came up beside her. “Hey, Ryonna wanted to know if she was supposed to write off the fifth list or the sixth. She says the lists call for different contractors and is clueless about what you wanted.”

Sighing, Chey looked me, “Duty calls. I will be back in two hours for lunch. Don’t disappear.” 

Chuckling, I told her I wouldn’t. 

A few minutes past, and I found myself bored. No one was calling and Mr. Sharp was in his meeting. My eyes flickered over to his office door. Without thinking I stood up and walked in the room. Upon glancing around I noted how neat his room was. It made me grin wider, if that was possible, when I thought about how I tore up this room a few days ago. Since then he had completely straighten up the room, showing no evidence of my actions. 

I looked over at the clock he had nailed to the wall. I realized he should be out of the meeting in about ten minutes, walking over to the couch, I sat down and decided to wait for him.

“How was your meeting?” I questioned right as he walked in. 

His brown eyes, which looked slightly darker than normal, glared daggers at me. Without saying a word, he quickly looked away from me and sat down at his desk. He turned on his computer and shuffled some papers around, clearly looking for something. 

Soon he found what he was looking for, and began to read a paper with great intensity before turning to his computer and typing a few things. 

“Is there anything you need me to do?” I kindly asked.