I Know You

"Don't complicate it,

Don't let the past dictate

Yeah,

I have been patient, but slowly I'm losing faith

So please, I know you baby

I know you baby

So please, I know you baby

I know you baby..."

- Skylar Grey "I Know You"

***

The night skyline was a blur as Colton drove to gosh knows where. All I knew at that moment was that Chey was right; this night turned out to be unplanned. However, sitting there in the black leather passenger seat, I knew somehow Chey had planned this all and if she didn't, she saw it coming. I believed, however, that she knew that Colton was going to come to Catch 180. Chey was smart, I had to give her credit.

Glancing over at Cole, I saw him looking at me in the corner of his eyes. He looked away, quickly, and focused back on the road as if he wasn’t just caught red handed. I didn’t say anything to rub it in that I caught him staring over at me. 

The silence would normally make me nervous and fiddle. Yet, this time I welcomed the silence like an embrace from a long-lost friend. Breathing in, I got a whiff of lavender and lemons. His car smelled as if it was drenched in his scent. I didn’t mind because it brought a sense of familiarity and comfort.

I watched as Cole moved the gear shift from 3 to 4, while increasing his speed on the deserted highway he was driving on. I noted that the muscles in his toned arms bulge ever so slightly at the action. My front teeth lightly bit my bottom lip as I exhaled through my nose. 

Colton’s dark orbs flickered over to me again. “Penny for your thoughts?” 

Leaning back in my seat and turning my attention to the road ahead of us, I wondered what was going through my mind. Honestly, my thoughts were all over the place — never sticking to one thought. All I knew was I was beyond confused, about everything. Colton was without a shadow of a doubt right: I was overthinking everything. “What is Belvedere going to think?” The questioned slipped out of my mouth before I could even consider what I was saying.

“Belvedere?” His voice was laced with confusion.

I nodded, knowing it was now or never to bring up one of the many elephants lingering in the car and my thoughts. I figured, now, that this was one of the things I had to get out first. “Yes, the girl from the office. The one you had a date with a few days back. The girl I presume is your girlfriend.”

“What gave you the impression she is my girlfriend?” He questioned as he looked at me with a raised eyebrow before turning his head back to the road. 

“Well, her coming to the office in a dress to impress. Then the girl asked if you were still planning to take her out. You, of course, put her question down with a firm ‘I’m still planning to pick you up at eight o’clock’."

Colton laughed for a second as if my words were humorous to him. “Oh, yes, I remember. This was followed by you telling her that you were going to pick up some ointment.”