Cups

"I've got my ticket for the long way 'round

Two bottle whiskey for the way

And I sure would like some sweet company

And I'm leaving tomorrow. What d'you say?

- Anna Kendrick “Cups”

***

I pulled Quintin’s black Honda into my driveway and noted that my mother was not home yet because her red Ford Focus wasn’t in its normal spot. Sighing, I took the keys out of the ignition and sighed.

Tonight was not exactly what I expected. I mean, I wasn’t naive to think He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named wasn’t going to be there. In fact, I knew he would be. However, I thought he would be a guest at the rave and wouldn’t be hunting me down.

Yet, little did I know he was after me and the rave was a trap. A trap that I fell for rather quickly.

My eyes started to water up, as I sat in the car facing my one story, brick, house. I never imagined my life to go this far off course. And as much as I wanted to blame Colton for all this happening to me, I knew I couldn’t. This was in no way his fault: it is all mine. I could have stayed a good girl, when he walked out of my life. I could have maintained my grades and not gotten into drugs and alcohol.  There is a list, now, a mile long of things I could have done differently. However, I did everything I shouldn’t have ... the reality I’m facing is all my fault ... and I know that ... but it is just so darn easy to blame him...

Resting my head on the steering wheel, I inhaled the new car smell that permeated the air. The scent had calmed my nerves for a second before I started to wonder what I was going to do next. He-Who-Shall-Not ... oh, fuck it, it is now evident that he is not leaving my life, might as well start using his real name now ...  Anyways, it is clear that Duke is or will realize, if he hasn’t already, that I didn’t - completely -  fall into his trap. Knowing him, he would come here next and try to get me. This obviously means I need to go inside my house, pack my stuff, and leave, as soon as possible.

But, like stated before I have one single problem: Colton.

Oh, hot damn, he was going to be a huge issue. Without a doubt he will not even let me leave this house once I step in.

Even still, I knew the danger of staying here to not only myself but my mother and Colton.

Duke wouldn’t hurt them, at first, because would wait and set some more traps up and see if he can catch me without casualties because, you see, Duke is not a very harmful / violent man. In fact, he would prefer I repay the debt over hurting me.

Yet, technically, the money and weed I stole from Duke wasn’t his, but his boss’. This means I don’t really owe Duke, but his boss, who from what I heard was a bloodthirsty man who spares no one. Which, if you hadn’t guessed it, means Duke has no control over my safety (but he will spare my family for as long as he can) because if the boss wants me dead ... well, I’m dead...

Alright, in case you are confused ... which you might be, I will break this down for you...