Paris

UNEDITED!

***

"But now sweetheart, listen to the way I
Cannot forget a single day I
Spent rolling all around the room with you

It's just a fantasy, taking over like a disease
Pull me out of this, I can't breathe
It's burning through my chest

A fantasy, taking over like a disease
Pull me out of this, I can't breathe
I just need a rest..."

- Magic Man "Paris"

***

"I have to go to work," I exclaimed as I walked in Penelope's room and looked over at her. "I want you to use this," I gave Penelope my cell phone. "Don't answer a call unless it says Alice Work on the caller I.D.-"

"You don't have to do this," she stated as she stared down at the phone in her hand.

I tucked in my white button down blouse in my skirt. "Yes, I do. Your father seems only to have given you a buzzer for downstairs. However, I don't feel comfortable with you having just that."

Penelope looked up at me, "Why do you care? You just met me."

Her question rang through my ears, and I began to wonder why I did care so much.

In a matter of seconds I knew the answer, she reminded me of myself. I was once in a dark place and had virtually no one. I needed people to care for me like she needed at this moment. "Have you ever read the Bible, Penelope?"

She furrowed her eyebrows, "No."

"Neither have I ... However, I was once told a story from there about a traveler that was lying injured in the street and people kept passing him by - this encompassed a priest and Levite. Then a Samaritan walked by and helped the man ... Religiously I know there are many things to take away from that story, however, when I was told this story, it was my friend teaching me a valuable lesson to help others. Never watch one suffer and just walk by without a care."

"So you are helping me only because of guilt and pity."

"No, Penny," I exclaimed, calling her by the nickname I gave her last night. "I am helping you for many reasons; but the main reason is I am not going to just walk by and not help you. You deserve to have someone one your side - I am that person."

"And the other reasons?"

I smiled, "Curiosity killed the cat."

"And satisfaction brought him back."

I couldn't help but chuckle at her, always so on point with her wit. "Yes, this is true." I looked down at my wristwatch. "I do have to go or I will be even more late for work," I stated. "I will be at my desk in an hour. You can call me from seven to nine in the morning. After that, I have class-"

"You still go to school?"

"Unfortunately ... you can contact me back at my desk sometime around three. Now, if something happens and you need me while I am in class call the contact labeled Meeting Desk. It will connect you with a woman named Mrs. Lamar. Tell her you need to speak with me and she should call me out of class."

"Okay..."

I walked over to Penny and enveloped her in a tight hug. "I will be back here no later than six. If something comes up and I have to stay later, I will call you."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." She muttered sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes and started to walk out of her room. When I got to Penny's doorway, I looked over my shoulder at her. "Don't answer any calls-"