Hot 'n Cold

"You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes.
Yeah, you, PMS
Like a bitch
I would know
And you over think
Always speak
Critically

I should know
That you're no good for me

'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no"

- Katy Perry "Hot 'n Cold"

***

“I was thinking,” Chey said as she reached my desk and laid down a few folders in front of me. “After work, you should come over to my house. I'll fix us some dinner, we can gossip and hang out. If you want, we can even go to this club that just opened up on East 58th Street. Free admission for woman and three free drinks. It might be a late night if we go to the club, so if you want you are more then welcome to stay at my house afterwards. I have a guest room that has been needing a guest for a while. Or, I can simply drop you off at home afterwards. Your choice of course.” 

I grabbed the folders and gave her a weak smile. I really wanted to go with her ... “I’m sorry ... I’ve plans tonight,” I lied knowing there was no way Colton would let me go to Chey's house, let alone a club. “But, I’ll take a raincheck,” I stated hoping that she wouldn’t get suspicious about me declining her offer. Also, I prayed that she wouldn't start bugging me to come over to her house because I knew it was going to get harder and harder to come up with excuses.

Chey sighed, “The folders are for Mr. Sharp. Make sure he gets them, okay?” 

I nodded, “Yeah, of course.”

She smiled at me, “Oh and you can count on me to cash in that raincheck, sooner or later."

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” I exclaimed before she walked away. I started to already think of an excuse I could give her for the next time she asked. However, I knew that soon she might get suspicious and/or keep hounding me to go out with her. Part of me wondered if I could bargain with Colton to let me go because gosh nows I need a break from all this...

I mentally laughed at myself because there was no way in hell Colton would ever let me go to a club, especially with Chey. He was to controlling and ruthless. Well, Colton wasn't really - but Mr. Sharp sure was.

Standing up, I grabbed the folders Chey placed on my desk and went over to Colton’s door. I knocked once before slipping in and closing the door behind me. 

My eyes glanced over the cleaned up room before settling on Colton. 

He’d gotten his whole office cleaned up and all his furniture replaced by early this morning. I was quite surprised, actually, how he was able to order and get all new furniture in here within twenty-four hours. Then again I had to remind myself that he was Mr. Sharp and could probably have had the new furniture here by the end of the work day yesterday if he wanted.

The furniture was the exact same as what he had before, showing me that the part of Colton that doesn’t like to change things up was still there.

“Yes, Ms. Snow?” Colton asked as he looked away from his new laptop and over at me. 

“Chey brought theses to me, said to give them to you,” I stated as I strolled over to his desk and sat the folders down before him. 

“Thank you,” He politely replied as he opened the folders and glanced over the paperwork that was in them.

I stared at him for a second as I noted for the thousandth time today that Colton was acting nice. Well, nicer then he has been in the last few days. 

It’s an understatement to say I was shocked when he allowed me to pick my own outfit today. Of course he pre-approved several outfits, but he let me choose from them. The fact was, he was giving me more control over my life  - while it was little, I still rejoiced in it because who knows how long his nice mood would last for.

“Mr. Sharp?” I questioned as plan formulated in my mind. 

“Yes.”

“I would like to withdraw my request that I submitted last night.”

Colton looked at me with a raised eyebrow, “The one day?” He vaguely asked, but then again he didn’t have to celebrate, we both knew what he was talking about. 

“Yes, on the condition that you allow me one night out.”

Colton gave me a puzzled look, “One night out?” 

“Chey wants to come over to her house tonight after work. We were going to hang out-”

“No."

I knew he was going to say that, so I continued. “Listen, Mr. Sharp, I know you might not know how employees mingle, seeing as you are the ‘leader’ of this business, but us mundane employees don’t mingle in the break room. We go out after work, we have dinners and if you happen to put to girls in that mixture, we stay up most of the night ranting about every we hate about the office. That includes the boss who we believe has a stick up his ass half the time. But, that is expected. Now, she invited me over to her house for dinner, I turned her down but she said she will be asking me again in the future. To turn her down might raise an eyebrow."

Colton thought for a minute before shaking his head once, “I said no. Now, if she keeps bothering you on the matter, I will personally silence her."

“Red flag number two you will be raisied if you do that. Please, it is just one night and she told me I can stay the night at her house. I know you know were she lives, because she is your employees and I know you trust her on some level because she works for you. I just need on night, please ... If I don’t mingle with my coworkers, Cole, people will start to get suspicious."

Silence lapsed over the room and once it did I realized what I had said - or more so what I called him.

Cole, my old nickname for him. 

My right hand slapped over my mouth as I muttered, “I’m so sorry."

Colton didn’t show anger, in fact he looked cool as a cucumber as he sat there staring at me with a blank expression. Within a matter of a few seconds he shook his head and exhaled loudly, “One night, Ms. Snow. That is all I'm granting."

Shock coursed through me. Never in a million and one years did I ever think he was going to agree.

“Really?!”

Colton sighed, “Really ... but there are conditions."

I gulped, “Conditions?

“You don’t think I’m just going to let you go there without conditions, did you?"