⇢ CHAPTER 35

season 7 episode 1

Holly walked behind April as she glared at her sister, having followed her from the E

Holly walked behind April as she glared at her sister, having followed her from the E.R. after she saw the patient's scans.

"Chief Shepherd," April smiled as she reached him, "you're back."

Coming up from behind her, Holly whispered in her ear, "Kiss ass."

"Jealous snake." April whispered back before looking back at Derek, "I found a giant skull base chordoma." She took the scans out of the folder to show him, "Biggest one I've ever seen."

"Really?" Derek asked, putting on his white coat that April also brought along.

"He came into the E.R. with trouble breathing."

"Can I please scrub in?" Holly asked with a smile, even though she was on Mark's service again.

"You two got cleared for surgery?" Meredith asked the sisters.

"Yep." Holly nodded.

"Bitch." Meredith responded, which made Holly frown her eyebrows before looking back at Derek.

"I know it looks inoperable." April commented as Derek looked over the scans, "But you're back and you're you."

"Right." Derek answered as the doors opened, causing an eruption of applause to come from the staff as they saw their Chief come back to work, "Hey," Derek greeted, "uh, yes, good morning. Thank you. Thank you very much."

The staff continued to cheer as Derek went up a few steps on the stairs and Holly tried to steal the chart in April's hand-- but April noticed and held onto it tighter.

"Good. Thank you. Thank you very much." Derek nodded, "It's, uh, it's great to be back. First of all, I'd like to thank Dr. Webber for stepping up in my absence. Thank you."

Webber mouthed back a "thank you," as the audience clapped for him now.

"Uh, I'm grateful for all of you, for all of your support during my recovery. Thank you. Uh, it's just, uh, so great to be back as Chief." Derek began to get lost in his speech as he stared at the scans, "I'm grateful for the, uh..." He paused before inhaling sharply, "I'm sorry. That's a lie. That's what people say, and, uh, the truth is... I hate being Chief."

Holly's eyes widened, of course she knew he had hated the administrative side from being Chief but she didn't think he would actually quit in front of everyone, "He wouldn't." She thought, "...Would he?"

"I hate being Chief. I hate it." He shook his head before gesturing a hand to Webber, "Chief Webber... Chief Webber is our Chief. Um..." He looked back at the scans, "And I'm sorry, but this giant... sorry," He looked back at the audience, "I gotta go look at this chordoma. I, um, I'm sorry, but..." He chuckled, "I quit."