⇢ CHAPTER 85

season 10 episode 19

"All righty." Holly mused, looking at the monitor demonstrating Callie's brain which determined whether her emotions at the given moment would be happy, highlighting a green color, or a negative feeling, a red color, depending on the questions.

"What do you do for a living?" Derek asked, momentarily glancing over the list of questions.

"I'm an orthopedic surgeon." Callie smiled, making Derek and Holly shoot a look at each other as they saw the monitor glow a light red.

Holly leaned forward and spoke into the microphone, "Do you enjoy your work?"

Callie chuckled, "I love it."

Again, the monitor lit red and Derek voiced, "Are you married?"

"Yep." Callie answered— and yet, the monitor continued to redden.

"Mm..." Holly hummed, frowning her brows before looking down at the list, hopeful to turn the screen green, "Any kids?"

"Uh, one." Callie nodded.

Derek exhaled, "Would you consider yourself a happy person?"

Callie nodded again, "Extremely."

Red again— Derek questioned, "And you want to participate in this project?"

Callie grinned, "I do."

Holly glanced at the monitor with a sigh as Derek shook his head at the orthopedic surgeon and remarked, "No."

Callie tilted her head, "'No' what?"

"Um," Holly exhaled, "judging by these results, we would say that you're, um..."

"Depressed." Derek finished, "And would turn you away from the study."

Callie laughed, "I'm not depressed."

"It's no big deal." Derek shook his head with a smile, "We could get somebody else to give us a baseline—" He turned to Holly, "Holl, go."

Holly nodded, "Okay—"

"Hey." Callie interrupted, stopping Holly in her steps, "I'm not depressed." She gestured a hand towards the monitor on her side which produced feeling-evoking images towards the test subjects, "Show me the kitten."

Holly and Derek gave each other an unsure glance before Holly pressed a few keys on the keyboard and, instantly, Callie's attention went to the kitten with a chuckle.

"Yeah." She grinned, "See? I'm happy." Holly and Derek stared at the red, "...Am I happy?"

Holly shook her head as Derek responded, "Nope."

"Well..." Callie trailed off as Derek pressed the button to release Callie from the heavy equipment hovering over her head, "No! Wait, I—"