Chapter 36: Ours

"Tell us what happened." Officer Richman began the interview.

I looked over to Marty who had to be present because I needed an adult in the room and he nodded telling me to go on. It was the first time I had seen Marty in ages and I'm in jail...

"Brody and I were bored. So we did something fun." I shrugged.

"Ms Summers we need the whole story, the carnival owner hasn't decided if he wishes to press charges but if he does we will need this." Officer Richman stated. "So from the beginning."

"I just moved back here. Brody and I used to date for a while and we wanted to do something special to get back together. We love each other. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and so the carnival was our idea. It was just us, we just wanted time together and to do something cute, we didn't mean any harm and we didn't cause any either. Brody's afraid of rides and we only got on one together, he was so nervous I just wanted to hold him forever and then your officers showed up. They scared us and so we ran,  we panicked but we're telling the truth now." I lied.

It probably wasn't smart lying to the cops but it had to be done. It's better just the two of us getting in trouble rather than all of us.

"And how did you get into the carnival?" I was asked.

"Climbed the gate." I replied.

"And it was Mr Morgan's car we found?" He asked me and I nodded.

"Is that everything?" Marty asked.

"I'll be right back." Officer Richman stood up turned the recorder off and walked out of the room with my file leaving just me and Marty who I was afraid to look at.

"I'm sorry." I spoke up to Marty.

"Marley-Rose do you know the reason I'm away so often?" He asked me. "Because I'm one of the best lawyers in the state. It's my job to know everything and I know what really happened tonight. I am far from angry."He smiled.

Then Officer Richman came back into us and stood in front of us.

"You're free to go." He told me and now I was confused. "Your boyfriend confessed to everything, admitted it was all his idea and you knew nothing about it. He's taking the blame and so you're free to go."

....... but that's not what happened. He couldn't take the blame for me like that.

"But-"

"Thank you." Marty cut me off standing up. "Let's go Marley-Rose."

I didn't get a chance to defend Brody as Marty pulled me outside of the room. I followed him as we walked outside then when we got outside I stopped him.

"Marty it wasn't Brody's fault. It was all my idea, he can't take the blame for me." I stood my ground.

"Marley. He's doing this for you. He's protecting you. You know that he'll be so angry if you have to stay in jail. This is what Brody wants. Look his parents know the Sheriff, he can get off with this." Marty explained.

"What will happen him?" I asked.

"He'll spend he night, maybe get a fine, it shouldn't go on his record unless the carnival press charges. Let's just go home." Marty told me.

"I didn't want him to get caught for me, I didn't want him to get in any trouble.  I was going to take the blame for it all." I sighed as I got into Marty's car.

"Marley you shouldn't have to take all the blame. But thank you, for getting Jake out of it. That boy gets into enough trouble." Marty smiled and started driving home.